Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJB CJB is offline

Default Word 2007 unable to open archived Word 2 docs

I need to open some Word 2 files archived to a CD into Word 2007 but I
get a message stating that the operation is blocked due to a registry
policy setting. I haven't a clue what that means but I DO need to open
the documents to resurrect the text therein. I'm not bothered about
any surviving formatting. Please can someone advise. Thank you -
C.J.Brady.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJB CJB is offline

On Apr 14, 9:37*pm, CJB wrote:
I need to open some Word 2 files archived to a CD into Word 2007 but I
get a message stating that the operation is blocked due to a registry
policy setting. I haven't a clue what that means but I DO need to open
the documents to resurrect the text therein. I'm not bothered about
any surviving formatting. Please can someone advise. Thank you -
C.J.Brady.

I rephrase that - I have Word 2003 with SP3 - not Word 2007 - sorry.
CJB.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

SP3 for Office 2003 blocks certain older file types from opening.
To unblock them, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922849
"You receive an error message when you try to open or to save a
file type that was blocked by your registry policy settings in
Word 2007 or in Word 2003".

CJB wrote:

I need to open some Word 2 files archived to a CD into Word 2007 but I
get a message stating that the operation is blocked due to a registry
policy setting. I haven't a clue what that means but I DO need to open
the documents to resurrect the text therein. I'm not bothered about
any surviving formatting. Please can someone advise. Thank you -
C.J.Brady.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See "Information about certain file types that are blocked after you install
Office 2003 Service Pack 3" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810.
Method 1 is what you want.

http://word.mvps.org

"CJB" wrote in message
I need to open some Word 2 files archived to a CD into Word 2007 but I
get a message stating that the operation is blocked due to a registry
policy setting. I haven't a clue what that means but I DO need to open
the documents to resurrect the text therein. I'm not bothered about
any surviving formatting. Please can someone advise. Thank you -
C.J.Brady.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJB CJB is offline

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"CJB" wrote in message

I need to open some Word 2 files archived to a CD into Word 2007 but I
get a message stating that the operation is blocked due to a registry
policy setting. I haven't a clue what that means but I DO need to open
the documents to resurrect the text therein. I'm not bothered about
any surviving formatting. Please can someone advise. Thank you -
C.J.Brady.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly. I have indeed downloaded
the two *.reg files - one for Word and one for Excel. The instructions
state just to download them but not where to put them. So I copied
them from /My Downloads into /Windows/System folder. Then I rebooted
the PC but the same problem - 'registry policy' - stops the old fioles
from being opened. The only way I can get the raw text is to open the
files into Notepad and then delete all the the formatting codes. But I
really need to open the files into Word 2003. There's too many!!
Luckily the CD hasn't gone bad (they have a limited life apparently)
so at least the files are still accessible. Thanks again - Chris Brady.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJB CJB is offline

"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

so at least the files are still accessible. Thanks again - Chris Brady.- Hide quoted text -

This is what I used - but it didn't work - even after I rebooted the
PC:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810/

Method 1: Use a downloadable update to automatically re-enable all
file types
Microsoft has created a set of updates to re-enable all file types. To
install the updates, follow these steps,

Download the appropriate files from the Microsoft Download Center. To
do this, click one or more of the following links:

To re-enable Word file types only, save the following file to a folder
on the computer - BUT TO WHICH FOLDER???:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...nblockWord.reg

To re-enable Excel file types only, save the following file to a
folder on the computer - BUT TO WHICH FOLDER???:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...blockExcel.reg

Chris Brady.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It doesn't matter where you download them. The Desktop is a good location
since they're single-use. What you do is double-click on them, and they
automatically make the desired changes in the Registry, after which you can
delete them.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJB CJB is offline

"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

on the computer - BUT TO WHICH FOLDER???:http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...A30-4D99-AFEF-...

To re-enable Excel file types only, save the following file to a
folder on the computer - BUT TO WHICH FOLDER???:http://download.microsoft..com/downl...A30-4D99-AFEF-...

Chris Brady.- Hide quoted text -

Ah - but I have to then right mouse click the *.reg files and merge
them into the registry. It all works now. Thank you. Chris B.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, honestly, if you just double-click on them, you get the same result.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Can't open docs in Word 2007 Wm Morton Microsoft Word Help 1 November 7th 08 05:31 PM
Word 2007 Suddenly Not Working- Unable To Open Documents Mindy325 Microsoft Word Help 3 October 10th 08 09:47 AM
Old word and adobe reader unable to open in 2007 Jan Microsoft Word Help 1 October 14th 07 11:03 AM
Unable to open a large Word 2007 file saved as DOC Thomas Microsoft Word Help 1 July 9th 07 11:10 PM
Word 2007: Unable to open document "Word has encountered a problem Baretta Microsoft Word Help 12 January 22nd 07 01:28 PM