Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Skyguy Skyguy is offline

Default other language characters appear

I only use English. Using Visio. I can be in the middle of a document when
all of a sudden typing a ' comes out as an è and the / comes out as a é. I
have unchecked "automatically detect languages" and have checked the document
and regional settings are set correctly. This happens in Word and Outlook
primarily. If I turn off e.g. Word, then restart it, it clears up for a
while. FRUSTRATING!!! Help!
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless it's a laptop that comes with alternative key assignments (and
then there's a key on it somewhere to switch between them), then
probably you have (an) additional keyboard(s) installed in your
system. You can toggle/cycle through them with Alt-Shift. If you know
you're never going to need anything but your English keyboard, then
you can uninstall all the others in Vista: Start Control Panel
Regional & Language Options Keyboards & Languages Change
Keyboards, then select what you don't want and delete them.