Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
veronius veronius is offline

Default How to create AND MAINTAIN a new style???

I am sick to death of creating new styles that would save me tons of effort
reformatting all the time, only to have them NOWHERE TO BE FOUND the next
time I need them. What happens to a new style when I create it??? What
impossibly esoteric and arcane directory does it get saved in???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It should be saved in your normal.dot or normal.dotm (depending on
version of Word) template, unless the checkboxes about where to save
it have been changed, and thereafter it will appear in all new
documents based on that template. It's also possible to create new
styles that aren't saved to a template but only in the document for
which they are created.

On Nov 24, 6:08*pm, veronius
wrote:
I am sick to death of creating new styles that would save me tons of effort
reformatting all the time, only to have them NOWHERE TO BE FOUND the next
time I need them. What happens to a new style when I create it??? What
impossibly esoteric and arcane directory does it get saved in???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you explicitly opted to save the new style to the attached template
(by default this would be Normal.dot or Normal.dotm), the style is saved
only in your document and will not be available to new documents.

http://word.mvps.org

"veronius" wrote in message
I am sick to death of creating new styles that would save me tons of effort
reformatting all the time, only to have them NOWHERE TO BE FOUND the next
time I need them. What happens to a new style when I create it??? What
impossibly esoteric and arcane directory does it get saved in???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open the document and use the Organiser (Alt+F8 Organizer) to copy
style(s) from document to template.

veronius wrote:
I am sick to death of creating new styles that would save me tons of
effort reformatting all the time, only to have them NOWHERE TO BE
FOUND the next time I need them. What happens to a new style when I
create it??? What impossibly esoteric and arcane directory does it
get saved in???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Given the headache of navigating the Organizer, I think it would be a lot
easier to right-click on the style, choose Modify, and then check the box
for "Add to template" or the radio button to save the style in the template
(can't remember the exact wording) in Word 2007.

http://word.mvps.org

veronius wrote:
I am sick to death of creating new styles that would save me tons of
effort reformatting all the time, only to have them NOWHERE TO BE
FOUND the next time I need them. What happens to a new style when I
create it??? What impossibly esoteric and arcane directory does it
get saved in???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am not sure what you mean by headache, but the OP already has the styles
in documents. This is mearely a means to store them without the need to
recreate them.

veronius wrote:
I am sick to death of creating new styles that would save me tons of
effort reformatting all the time, only to have them NOWHERE TO BE
FOUND the next time I need them. What happens to a new style when I
create it??? What impossibly esoteric and arcane directory does it
get saved in???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, provided the Organizer opens with the active document and its attached
template suggested, I suppose it's easy enough. It's when you are trying to
copy styles from one template to another that it becomes a pain. But my
method also doesn't require recreating them, just checking the box while the
Modify dialog is open, then clicking OK.