Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gill Bates Gill Bates is offline

Default full stops in between every word.

I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007, for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need to
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Click on the Show/Hide button (¶) in the Paragraph section of the Home tab
of the ribbon.

See the article "What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the
words in my document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...PrintChars.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Gill Bates" wrote in message
I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007,
for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must
emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need to
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as
normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Click Office button | Word Options. In the Display category, clear all of
the check boxes (in particular, "Spaces") under "Always show these
formatting marks on the screen." Click OK.

For more on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gill Bates" wrote in message
I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007, for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must
emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need to
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as
normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gill Bates Gill Bates is offline

Thank you both Doug and Stefan. It seems strange though, I don't remember
checking the "spaces" box in Word options/display. How on earth could this
have happened by accident?

Gill

"Gill Bates" wrote in message
I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007,
for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must
emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need to
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as
normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Most of us leave the ShowAll option enabled all the time because it is the
only way to know what formatting you are using. Otherwise you have no idea
where there are spaces, tabs, line breaks, paragraph breaks, page breaks,
section ends, etc. It is sort of like working blindfolded.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Gill Bates" wrote in message
I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007,
for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must
emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put
in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need to
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear
between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as
normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As for accidents, if you're trying to type an asterisk (on a U.S. keyboard)
and inadvertently have the Ctrl key down, you toggle the Show/Hide status.

http://word.mvps.org

"Gill Bates" wrote in message
I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007,
for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must
emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put
in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear
between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as
normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Or if you are trying to type "(" on a Swedish keyboard. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gill Bates" wrote in message
I must have pressed something I should not have in Microsoft Word 2007,
for
at the moment after every word I type there is a full-stop. I must
emphasise
that I am not physically putting the full-stops in, they are being put
in
automatically by Word.

Does anybody know what I may have pressed by accident and what I need
press to stop it from happening so all the 'full-stops' disappear
between
each word so all that is shown is a blank space between each word as
normal.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gill Bates Gill Bates is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Most of us leave the ShowAll option enabled all the time because it is the
only way to know what formatting you are using. Otherwise you have no
idea where there are spaces, tabs, line breaks, paragraph breaks, page
breaks, section ends, etc. It is sort of like working blindfolded.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

I do not understand. It was the 'Spaces' box that was checked within the
Word options Display ShowAll category. I simply unchecked it and that
did the trick. Which part of the ShowAll category option do you leave
enabled? I have them all unchecked now within the category that includes
'Spaces' as shown above. Everything seems to be working okay now.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I have to agree that it is difficult or impossible to tell how only "Spaces"
got checked. I believe we all assumed that you inadvertently switched on the
display of *all* nonprinting marks (for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Gill Bates" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Most of us leave the ShowAll option enabled all the time because it is
the only way to know what formatting you are using. Otherwise you have
no idea where there are spaces, tabs, line breaks, paragraph breaks, page
breaks, section ends, etc. It is sort of like working blindfolded.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

I do not understand. It was the 'Spaces' box that was checked within the
Word options Display ShowAll category. I simply unchecked it and that
did the trick. Which part of the ShowAll category option do you leave
enabled? I have them all unchecked now within the category that includes
'Spaces' as shown above. Everything seems to be working okay now.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Very weird! I'm almost certain that there isn't a keyboard shortcut for
toggling just the spaces. Through the Options dialog is the only way I know
to do it, so that is bizarre. If you do find out, please share the secret
with us.

Terry

"Gill Bates" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Most of us leave the ShowAll option enabled all the time because it is
the only way to know what formatting you are using. Otherwise you have
no idea where there are spaces, tabs, line breaks, paragraph breaks, page
breaks, section ends, etc. It is sort of like working blindfolded.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

I do not understand. It was the 'Spaces' box that was checked within the
Word options Display ShowAll category. I simply unchecked it and that
did the trick. Which part of the ShowAll category option do you leave
enabled? I have them all unchecked now within the category that includes
'Spaces' as shown above. Everything seems to be working okay now.

Thanks

Gill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gill Bates Gill Bates is offline

That's just it, I have the faintest idea what I did lol. If I find out, I
will let you know :-)

Gill