Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rasmus Rasmus is offline

Default Locking a text box?

Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make sure to position the text box relative to the page edges, not relative
to text paragraphs. For more specific instructions, tell us your version of
Word.

Note that regardless of the chosen Text Wrapping option, if the paragraph
containing the text box anchor moves to the following page, so will the text
box. Therefore, you should anchor the box to a paragraph that is unlikely to
move, such as a paragraph in the middle of the page.

If the text box should be on the *first* page of the document, only, you can
anchor it to the first page header.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rasmus" wrote in message
news
Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so
that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rasmus Rasmus is offline

I want my text box to become a permanent part of the document. So if I delete
the remaining text, the text box stays. A bit like the header and footer.

"Rasmus" wrote:

Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

That can't realistically be done. As Stefan wrote, a floating text box is
always anchored to a paragraph. If you delete the paragraph you delete the
text box. Word documents are a text based structure, not object oriented, so
there are no 'pages' on which to fix floating objects.

The only viable workaround is to add additional section breaks in order to
create a separate Header for that one page section & put the text box in
that Header... But even that is dependent on the existence of the section &
the content of the document. Ergo: Usually more trouble than it's worth.

You're looking for page layout capability & Word is not a page layout
application. You might consider using Publisher or something comparable for
documents that require absolute positioning of objects independent of text.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/22/10 5:55 AM, in article
, "Rasmus"

"Rasmus" wrote:

Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rasmus Rasmus is offline

Word 2003...

I have found out how to fix the text box relative to the remaining text. I
however still want my text box to become a permanent part of the document.
What to do?

"Rasmus" wrote in message
news
Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so
that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I wrote, the best you can do is anchor the text box to a header
paragraph. The first page header would be the most convenient one. See also
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm.

If you are creating a letterhead (or something similar to a letterhead), see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rasmus" wrote in message
news
Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that
it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so
that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text
forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rasmus Rasmus is offline

Many thanks for your reply
Is it possible to do something else? Can you possibly replace the box with
something else?

My wish is to get a "sider", lol :-) (Not a header /footer)

"Rasmus" wrote:

Hello ...

I have a text box on the right side of my document. My problem is that it
moves depending on the remaining text. Can I in any way lock the box so that
it will always be in the same place no matter how the remaining text forms
themselves.

Thanks in advance, Rasmus

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You've already been referred to
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm, which increasingly
sounds like what you need.

http://word.mvps.org

&

Locking Text presson Page Layout 1 August 22nd 08 01:44 PM
Locking text together Sara Microsoft Word Help 5 June 4th 08 10:54 PM
Locking Text Baggie79 Microsoft Word Help 1 November 10th 07 05:21 AM
Locking text boxes Steph Microsoft Word Help 2 April 14th 06 05:50 PM
Locking Text jennneedhelp Page Layout 1 June 6th 05 08:11 PM