Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

Default Converting doc & docx files to RTF. One file grew very big

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:41:01 -0800, angela g
wrote:

others grew no more than 10x more? I looked in the original Word doc and
can't find anything special in this file, why it grew so much, but there may
be something I'm missing.

Graphıcs and/or offbeat fonts perhaps?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angela g angela g is offline

As I said above " I looked in the original Word doc and
can't find anything special in this file, why it grew so much, but there may
be something I'm missing" so I doubt it's a graphic issue.
Are there types of fonts that would be normal sized in doc or pdf format and
grow huge in rtf? If so, is there a way to id those fonts or do I just need
to do trial and error?

Anybody have more definitive answers about this sort of problem?

wrote:

others grew no more than 10x more? I looked in the original Word doc and
can't find anything special in this file, why it grew so much, but there may
be something I'm missing.

Graphıcs and/or offbeat fonts perhaps?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angela g angela g is offline

Or maybe my question should be

Can anyone recommend a text editor that will convert .doc or docx or for
that matter PDF or existing .RTF files and make them smaller than when Word
does the same action? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gabe gaster gabe gaster is offline

Default Or maybe my question should beCan anyone recommend a text editorthat will

I agree. I have this question also and have yet to find a good answer.

A bad answer is to use an online pdf-ifyer, for instance something like this:
http://www.pdfonline.com/

The problem is that there are so many different pdf editors that it's easy to just get lost in the mix.

Another mediocre solution is to just try a bunch of different pdf converters to see which one works best.

I would really like it if someone else has had this problem and could just recommend a good way around it.

On Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:41 PM angela g wrote:

I had to edit several Word files and then convert them to PDF for posting on
a web site. The original Word files ranged in size from 100 - 500 kb. The new
PDFs did not match the original files' sizes but they were also in that range.
Then I was told to make RTF format of each file. Now they range in size from
1 - 3 MB. OK fine, I know files are bigger when converted to RTF.

Except one of the files, the one that was 500 KB in Word .doc format, is now
15 MB. Way too big to post on the site or email to my colleagues. Why would
this file grow 30x in size when converted from doc to RTF, when all the
others grew no more than 10x more? I looked in the original Word doc and
cannot find anything special in this file, why it grew so much, but there may
be something I am missing.

Thanks.

On Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:23 AM Opinicus wrote:

and=20
there may=20
Graph=C4=B1cs and/or offbeat fonts perhaps?

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

On Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:07 AM angela g wrote:

As I said above " I looked in the original Word doc and
cannot find anything special in this file, why it grew so much, but there may
be something I am missing" so I doubt it is a graphic issue.

"Opinicus" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:58 PM angela g wrote:

Or maybe my question should be

Can anyone recommend a text editor that will convert .doc or docx or for
that matter PDF or existing .RTF files and make them smaller than when Word
does the same action? Thanks.

ASP.NET MaskedTextBox Custom Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...m-control.aspx