amitkapoor amitkapoor is offline
Junior Member

Question Replace each heading with a unique numeric value

I have a huge Word document. I want to replace all of its headings with a unique numeric value, say, 10001,10002,10003, and so on. So maybe the heading is h1 or h2 or h3 or h4 or other higher levels, every heading will get replaced with a numeric value that will be unique throughout the document.

Can anyone please help? This is urgent.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Default Replace each heading with a unique numeric value

Hi,

I have a huge Word document.

which version of Word?

I want to replace all of its headings with
a unique numeric value, say, 10001,10002,
10003, and so on. So maybe the heading is
h1 or h2 or h3 or h4 or other higher levels,
every heading will get replaced with a numeric
value that will be unique throughout the document.

You can use SEQ-fields to create the numbers, for example: { SEQ Head }
Then copy the field (Ctrl + C).
Use Ctrl + H (Find/Replace). Show "More".
Search for your styles (Format | Style | ...).
Replace by content of the clipboard, followed by a paragraph mark: ^c^p

After having replaced all the headings, select all (Ctrl + A). Press F9 to
update all fields.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

amitkapoor amitkapoor is offline
Junior Member

Smile

This worked great! I tried this but without ^p and failed everytime. Now I know what was wrong.

I am getting greedy so I have another question. How can I add the headings text immediately after the heading and in the next line after heading without any formatting? This way, every heading will have its plain text version below it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

"amitkapoor" wrote

[Word version ?]
How can I add the headings text immediately
after the heading and in the next line after
heading without any formatting? This way,
every heading will have its plain text version
below it.

For example:
1. Strg + H | Replace |More
Find what: (Format | Styles | your style)
Replace with: ^&#^&
Replace all
2. Strg + H | Find | More
Find what: #(Format |Styles | your style)
Highlight all items found in ...
Apply a paragraph style (not a linked style)
Press DEL, to delete the #-characters

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Adding new Heading 1 and linking others to unique numbering APL Microsoft Word Help 7 October 26th 09 09:51 AM
Numeric Heading for TOC using MS Word 2007 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 July 18th 08 09:43 AM
Unique header LeAnn Page Layout 1 December 14th 06 09:34 PM
Search and Replace not working if I select a Format for Heading St Sherrie Deen Microsoft Word Help 0 April 27th 05 08:53 PM
Unique footers JerryG Tables 1 April 12th 05 03:58 PM