Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Petite

Default Formating Based On Page Numbers

Im trying to format a document I will be using a template. I want the first
pages margins to be different than the subsequent pages. I know now to do
this using section breaks €“ my problem is that since it is a template I will
be typing several lines into the first page and this always shifts my section
break down and thus messes up where I want my new formatting to start.

Is there a way to lock the section break or format based on the page
numbers? Ive tried doing section breaks and protecting just them but they
still get shifted down as I type on the first page.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Don't use a section break for this. Instead, choose a "Different
first page" header and footer in File | Page Setup. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm for some basic
steps that you can adapt to your situation.

Petite wrote:

Im trying to format a document I will be using a template. I want the first
pages margins to be different than the subsequent pages. I know now to do
this using section breaks €“ my problem is that since it is a template I will
be typing several lines into the first page and this always shifts my section
break down and thus messes up where I want my new formatting to start.

Is there a way to lock the section break or format based on the page
numbers? Ive tried doing section breaks and protecting just them but they
still get shifted down as I type on the first page.

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Nope, you don't change margins but rather change what is in your headers.
One header, possibly with something that reserves space, for the first page
and a different one for the rest. Take a look at: How to set up letterhead
or some other document where you want one header on the first page and a
different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Hope this helps,