Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Ashley

Default Changing the default alignment character for a decimal tab

How can the default alignment character for a decimal tab be changed? For
example, I'd like to align a column of clock times around the colon character.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Have you tried it with a decimal tab You will find it works just fine as
it is.

Bill Ashley wrote:
How can the default alignment character for a decimal tab be changed?
For example, I'd like to align a column of clock times around the
colon character.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi Bill,

You should be able to align clock times by using standard left, central or
right tabs as well. In a well-designed font, all digits occupy the same space.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

--
PS: Werkt deze oplossing voor jou en log je in via de Microsoft site, klik
dan svp even op Yes bij "Did this post answer the question?". Bedankt.

"Bill Ashley" wrote:

How can the default alignment character for a decimal tab be changed? For
example, I'd like to align a column of clock times around the colon character.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Ashley

"Cooz" wrote:
You should be able to align clock times by using standard left, central or
right tabs as well. In a well-designed font, all digits occupy the same space.

Thanks for your reply. Your reference to a "well-designed" font I assume
means a "fixed pitch" font such as Courier where a space occupies the same
horizontal distance as a 1. However, I'm looking for a solution that works
for a proportional font.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Ashley

"Graham Mayor" wrote:
Have you tried it with a decimal tab You will find it works just fine as
it is.

Thanks. You're correct, of course. I "grew up" with another program (WP)
where it was routine to specify an "align to" character. Old habits ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi Bill,

No, I mean both "fixed pitch" and proportional fonts. Try this with for
example Arial or Times New Roman, they work fine. As Suzanne Barnhill points
out: "In most proportional fonts, the numerals are, in effect, monospaced."

See for yourself.

Cooz