Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ray Pixley Ray Pixley is offline

Default Varying Column Width

Is there a way of having varying column widths in a table and yet have the
tab and formula functions also work? I'm using Word 2003.

An example is where the first few row's column widths are 1", 3" and 2",
followed by rows with column widths of of 2", 2" and 2".

I've faked the above some by first using column widths of 1", 1", 2" and 2"
with an extra row as a "transition" row; merging cells where needed to get
the column widths wanted and using borders to turn on the diagonal and off
the vertical side of appropriate cells in the transition row. But the Word
formulas, i.e. SUM(), don't work correctly and setting the tabs for an entire
column doesn't work. So each cell's tabs have to be set individually, and
the formula function becomes useless and misleading. Yet my bosses, who are
not computer savy but can read a Word marketing brochure, don't understand
why this can't be done nor why I would dare suggest additional software is
needed.

There must be an easier and less time consuming way. Please advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

That can certainly be done, without the fudge that you are using.. If you
want to set tabs in the first or second columns however, it would be better
to do that before you adjust the width of the the columns. As long as you
have the same number of cells in each row, the Sum(Above) formula will work.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ray Pixley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Ray Pixley Ray Pixley is offline

The sum works, but the tab suggestion didn't. An example:

1 - Create 2 row x 4 column table, table width: 6", column width: inches

2 - In 1st and 2nd Rows 3rd Column place a number and Decimal Tab at 4"

3 - Combine 1st row Columns 2 & 3.

Result: 1st Row Decimal Tab at 2.5"
2nd Row Decimal Tab at 4"

Desired Result: Both row decimal tabs at 4"

Also, because the document will be modified by many others (read bosses who
know more than I do) who are not as Word savy, tabs are expected to stay
where they belong, even if they adjust the column widths.

Any way to make such a table less difficult to manage?

Fix column width in a table catandmouse Page Layout 1 January 21st 07 01:30 AM
Column width in tables Box815 Microsoft Word Help 7 October 11th 06 06:22 PM
change column width Karen Tables 1 October 5th 06 08:11 PM
DRAGGING COLUMN WIDTH olstrain Tables 3 January 24th 06 03:27 PM
column width versus cell width 2dogs Tables 12 October 12th 05 01:54 AM