Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GregMiddleton GregMiddleton is offline

Default How do I combine documents and maintain numbered lists

I have multiple requirements documents that each deal with a specific topic.
Think of them as chapters. Within each chapter, I have Autonumbered lists
that are specific to that chapter.

I want to merge all of the individual documents into one master document for
distribution. It is critical that I maintain the Multi-level list formatting
with the numbering from each chapter.

When i do a copy/paste I lose all of the numbering. This includes when I
change the Paste option to Keep Source Formatting.

help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GregMiddleton GregMiddleton is offline

Well disregard...

When I did Insert Object on Friday it was destroying my formatting.

I went and set the default for paste to keep source formatting and it now
works as desired.

Thanks

"GregMiddleton" wrote:

I have multiple requirements documents that each deal with a specific topic.
Think of them as chapters. Within each chapter, I have Autonumbered lists
that are specific to that chapter.

I want to merge all of the individual documents into one master document for
distribution. It is critical that I maintain the Multi-level list formatting
with the numbering from each chapter.

When i do a copy/paste I lose all of the numbering. This includes when I
change the Paste option to Keep Source Formatting.

help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You will probably need to create a new multi-level (outline-numbered) list,
associating a higher-level style (such as the chapter number or title) with
Level 1 and demoting each of the existing levels to a lower level. The Level
1 style need not be numbered; it's just used to restart numbering. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...artMethods.htm