Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Nick Manley Nick Manley is offline

Default Can I total data brought in from an external data source?

I have a document that includes merge data (in the form of dollar amounts) in
fields which are in a table. I would like to total those dollar amounts at
the bottom of the table. I tried using the sum function, but could not get
the formula function to recognize the merge fields.

Is this possible to do? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Nick.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Use the following type of field construction

{ = { MERGFIELD Field1name } + { MERGEFIELD Field2Name } + ....... }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nick Manley" Nick wrote in message
I have a document that includes merge data (in the form of dollar amounts)
in
fields which are in a table. I would like to total those dollar amounts at
the bottom of the table. I tried using the sum function, but could not get
the formula function to recognize the merge fields.

Is this possible to do? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Nick Manley[_2_] Nick Manley[_2_] is offline

Thank you, Doug! I'll give it a shot. Am I removing the { in your formula, or
are the mergefield fieldnames bracketed like that in the formula?

Thanks,
Nick.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the following type of field construction

{ = { MERGFIELD Field1name } + { MERGEFIELD Field2Name } + ....... }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nick Manley" Nick wrote in message
I have a document that includes merge data (in the form of dollar amounts)
in
fields which are in a table. I would like to total those dollar amounts at
the bottom of the table. I tried using the sum function, but could not get
the formula function to recognize the merge fields.

Is this possible to do? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The brackets indicate fields - in this case your mergefields. If you are
assembling fields from the keyboard rather than inserting them, you create
each pair of brackets with CTRL+F9. Change the fieldnames to those in your
data file.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the following type of field construction

{ = { MERGFIELD Field1name } + { MERGEFIELD Field2Name } + ....... }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nick Manley" Nick wrote in
message ...
I have a document that includes merge data (in the form of dollar
amounts) in
fields which are in a table. I would like to total those dollar
amounts at the bottom of the table. I tried using the sum function,
but could not get the formula function to recognize the merge
fields.

Is this possible to do? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Nick Manley[_2_] Nick Manley[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham,

Thank you for the response.

When I use the following formula I get a Syntax error:
={MERGEFIELDMembership_Dues_Amount}+{MERGEFIELDDiv ision_Dues_Amount_Membership}+{MERGEFIELDStandards }+{MERGEFIELDISA_Transactions}+{MERGEFIELDAirmail} +{MERGEFIELDDonations}

I did not create this document or insert the fields. They were there when I
got it and I was asked if they can be totaled in a seperate cell in the table
(each field has its own cell). Currently the merge fields are bracketed with
a and .

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use the following type of field construction

{ = { MERGFIELD Field1name } + { MERGEFIELD Field2Name } + ....... }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nick Manley" Nick wrote in
message ...
I have a document that includes merge data (in the form of dollar
amounts) in
fields which are in a table. I would like to total those dollar
amounts at the bottom of the table. I tried using the sum function,
but could not get the formula function to recognize the merge
fields.

Is this possible to do? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need another bracket around the calculation and spaces between
Mergefield and the field names
{={MERGEFIELD Membership_Dues_Amount} + {MERGEFIELD
Division_Dues_Amount_Membership} + {MERGEFIELD Standards} + {MERGEFIELD
ISA_Transactions} + {MERGEFIELD Airmail} + {MERGEFIELD Donations}}

Use ALT + F9 to toggle between (say)
{MERGEFIELD Membership_Dues_Amount}
and
Membership_Dues_Amount

}

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nick Manley" Nick wrote in
message ...