Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Newt613 Newt613 is offline

Default Word Document

I am having a problem with my word doc file. I have word 2003, I have
created a document and saved it to a sandisk memory stick 2GB. for weeks I
wroked with this document from my home computer saved it back to the memory
stick and loaded it to another laptop. it woked fine until a week ago, when I
attempted to open my document onto my home computer, all of the text I typed
in is now all small boxes, and the document has extended to around 11 pages.
I have tryed "seclect all", and changing the fonts, and nothing works.
someone please help me, this work is for a school project I had to do over
the summer and school is approaching fast and I have no document!!! HELP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
D. Kirkpatrick D. Kirkpatrick is offline

In article ,
Newt613 wrote:

I am having a problem with my word doc file. I have word 2003, I have
created a document and saved it to a sandisk memory stick 2GB. for weeks I
wroked with this document from my home computer saved it back to the memory
stick and loaded it to another laptop. it woked fine until a week ago, when I
attempted to open my document onto my home computer, all of the text I typed
in is now all small boxes, and the document has extended to around 11 pages.
I have tryed "seclect all", and changing the fonts, and nothing works.
someone please help me, this work is for a school project I had to do over
the summer and school is approaching fast and I have no document!!! HELP

I am having similar issues with Word 2002 that came with MS Works 2004
on an XP machine.

Attempts to open a doc are met with the little paperclip guy saying I
don't have enough memory or not enough storage, when in fact all is
well in that area.

At least one other document I attempt to open has fluttering
characters and several error messages. I have also seen the little
boxes in one.

I think I have read a thread suggesting this may be due to a recent
Winsows Update that has effected some versions of MS Office.

I have an old copy of Office 97 that is on the same machine and it is
working with no problems.

Google "Open Office" I think it's OpenOffice.Org and download a copy
of Open Office.

This is Sun's answer to MS Office. It will open MS Word docs and
allow you to save to that format again. And its free!

I also have that as a back up.

I have posted a message in these groups

microsoft.public.word.application.errors
microsoft.public.officeupdate

with my problems to see if anyone can validate if it was a recent MS
Windows Update that did this. I've also asked if reinstalling Works
(with Word 2002 included) will fix this issue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is risky to work with Word documents directly from any form of removable
media, including flash drives. Instead, save the file to the HD, work with
it from there, and copy it to the flash drive. To open it on another
computer, copy it from the flash drive to the HD, work on it there, save it
to the HD, then copy back to the stick.

"Newt613" wrote in message
I am having a problem with my word doc file. I have word 2003, I have
created a document and saved it to a sandisk memory stick 2GB. for weeks
wroked with this document from my home computer saved it back to the
memory
stick and loaded it to another laptop. it woked fine until a week ago,
when I
attempted to open my document onto my home computer, all of the text I
typed
in is now all small boxes, and the document has extended to around 11
pages.
I have tryed "seclect all", and changing the fonts, and nothing works.
someone please help me, this work is for a school project I had to do over
the summer and school is approaching fast and I have no document!!! HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"D. Kirkpatrick" wrote:

I am having similar issues with Word 2002 that came with MS Works 2004
on an XP machine.

Ny answer was poste din one of the other named groups.

It seems there wa sa hung file causing a problem that was not showing
in the printer cue.

I printed a doc from a networked system, and created a doc using Word
97/Office 97. When I opened the new doc in Word 2002 the hung file
displayed asking me if I wanted to recover it.

I declined.

It then asked if I wanted to modify the Normal template.

I declined that as well.

After that I was able to open and use Word again.

So far so good.