Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word Document Pasted to Outlook sends unusual characters

The problem characters you mentioned are part of the Western(Windows 1252)
(once called Windows ANSI) code set, where many of the characters in the
range 128- 255 are not the same as Unicode (or Extended Ascii, with which
Unicode coincides). Sounds like you realized this when using WP, which
made its own substitutions in that character value range (as did Apple and
many other software companies).

So, when preparing your newsletter, turn off Word's auto correct features
that create curly quotes and apostrophes and em and en dashes. Watch out for
the Euro sign, too. In other words, stick with Ascii characters (values
below 128).

If you are reasonably certain that users have modern operating systems (such
as Windows XP &ff), you can code these typographic characters with their
Unicode values (insert symbol).

PamC

Robert T wrote:
This is a simple newsletter that goes to folks with
various levels of experience and equipment. I have kept it text only for that
purpose. No pictures, no fancy stuff, fast download.

My issue is that WordPerfect and Outlook have served me well. I would like
to use Word (makes Bill happy).
First let me lay the foundation. For many years I have used WordPerfect to
develop a newsletter. I then copy all of the document and paste it to

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

MaryL