Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
thenshaw thenshaw is offline

Default Starting Word - no document appears

When I start Word, no document appears. There's reduced functionality (all
fields in menu bar are dimmed and inaccessible. When I try to close, a
warning appears that says that MICROSOFT WORD HAS STOPPED WORKING. Sometimes
Word restarts, then I have functionality, can save, etc. When I try to
reopen the same document, again, no document appears.
When I try to activate Word (although I believe I've already done this) I
go to Word Options, but the cursor will not move to Resources, or any other
selection from the menu for that matter. I tried to Activate through Office
Tools, but can't find the Activate selection.
I can open and use Word Viewer and all other Office programs are fully
functional and Activated. I've been working on this all day, would appreciate
the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Sounds like a corrupted Word Data key in the registry. Run REGEDIT and then
navigate to the key: with DATA selected, press DELETE. Word will create a
new key when it is restarted.

\\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0 \Word\Data

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP