Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Default Header/Footer Auto Text - please help ASAP!

When you click view - header/footer, a header/footer menu bar appears with
Insert AutoText in the left hand side. The only text options are like date,
page number, etc. How do I customize my footer autotext information so I
don't have to keep retyping what I want? I have tried using Word help, but
if you try to customize autotext using Insert - Autotext - New, it still
does not pop up under the header/footer autotext menu bar. Anyone have any
ideas???? Thanks for your help, I REALLY appreciate it!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To get a new AutoText entry to appear in the list on the Header/Footer
toolbar, the text that you use to make the entry has to be formatted with
either the Header style or the Footer style.

You can't really modify an existing AutoText entry, but you can overwrite it
by using the same name. So do these steps:

- In the main body of a document (new blank doc or any existing), in an
empty paragraph with Normal style, insert the existing AutoText entry by
typing its name and pressing F3.

- Apply the Header style to this paragraph.

- Select the text (but not the paragraph mark -- this is easier if you click
the ¶ button so you can see the marks).

- Press Alt+F3 and enter the same name for the entry. When Word asks whether
to replace the entry, say yes.

- Now go into the header pane and check the Insert AutoText button on the
toolbar -- your entry should be there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Katie wrote:
When you click view - header/footer, a header/footer menu bar
appears with Insert AutoText in the left hand side. The only text
options are like date, page number, etc. How do I customize my
footer autotext information so I don't have to keep retyping what I
want? I have tried using Word help, but if you try to customize
autotext using Insert - Autotext - New, it still does not pop up
under the header/footer autotext menu bar. Anyone have any ideas????
Thanks for your help, I REALLY appreciate it!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The AutoText entries displayed on the AutoText menu on the Header and Footer
toolbar are only those in the Header or Footer style. If you create an AT
entry in one of those styles, it should be on the menu provided that you
agree to save Normal.dot when you quit Word.

news