Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David

Default Header and footer on first page only

Hi

I'm trying to write a business letter. My logo and date and reference etc
are all in the header on the first page. I obviously don't want these to
appear on every page [although I'd like the footer to do so if possible]. As
far as I can see, the only way to do this is to wait until my typing gets to
the bottom of the page and then manually insert a section break, making the
header in the new section different from the last section. But I seem to
have to do this for every page!

How do I do this?

Its seems to me to be such a fundamental requirement and yet I can't even
find anything on it in help. Good old MS, making everything too complicated
as usual and ignoring basic requirements.

Thansk for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

No, you don't need to insert a section break to have a different first
page header. Instead, do the following: On the File menu, click Page
Setup. Click the Layout tab. Check the "Different first page" option,
and click OK. Then click View | Header and Footer, cut the header
contents and paste it into the first page header.

For "everything" about creating letters in Word, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"David" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David

Thanks for your help but this doesn't seem to work. I've done as you say but
when my typing gets to the bottom of the page and the second page appears,
the same header and footer are still there.

cheers
david

"David" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

To access the main header (or footer) in a document with the
"Different first page" option enabled, you have to insert a temporary
page break (unless document content extends to a second page); that
could be the problem in this case.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"David" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

A simpler, although less straight-forward, way is to use the header/footer
toolbar to go to the page layout and switch off "different first page." Then
you have access to the header and footer boxes in the first page. Edit and
then change the setting back to different first page. Then you can paste
into the first-page header.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"David" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luc

David,
Have you tried using the "Different first page" option?
On the Header and Footer toolbar, click on the Page Setup button - choose
Layout tab - under Headers and Footers section check the box for "Different
first page", then click OK.
Also if you want some extra info on creating letterheads and using headers
and footers in them go he
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"David" schreef in bericht
Hi

I'm trying to write a business letter. My logo and date and reference etc
are all in the header on the first page. I obviously don't want these to
appear on every page [although I'd like the footer to do so if possible].
As far as I can see, the only way to do this is to wait until my typing
gets to the bottom of the page and then manually insert a section break,
making the header in the new section different from the last section. But
I seem to have to do this for every page!

How do I do this?

Its seems to me to be such a fundamental requirement and yet I can't even
find anything on it in help. Good old MS, making everything too
complicated as usual and ignoring basic requirements.

Thansk for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David

Ah...cracked it. Thats an excellent page you linked me to. Thanks. Hardly
intuitive process though is it? Can't help wonder about Microsofts usability
testing procedures!

Thanks again for you help.

David

--
David Kitching Msc. Msc.
Managing Director

Tel: +44 (0) 1789 470040
Mob: +44 (0) 7799 118518
www.naturaldeco.co.uk

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There are more intuitive but less efficient ways to achieve the same effect.
For example, you can insert a temporary page break in order to have access
to both headers at once. I don't think this has anything to do with
usability testing, though. I suspect most users are already several pages
into a document before they figure out they need a separate First Page
Header. It's only when you're setting up a blank document or template from
scratch that this is an issue. Also, I suspect that Word 2007 will make this
a lot easier.

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users