Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan

Default fax wizard

i recently upgraded to Word 2003. i have been using the fax wizrd
successfully for years. now when i start the fax wizard and click next it
opens a blank page and exits. previously it walked me through selecting a
template, selecting recipents and sender. i would type my fax and it would
send it. if i manually slect a template and manually fill it out then use
send to and select a recipent, for my address book every thing works fine. so
i know that microsoft fax is installed and working. i have tried using help
and nothing it suggests seems to work either. What am i missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

I always found the fax wizard too much trouble. You may (as I did) find it
simpler to create a template for your faxes, then use the method at
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm to send fax documents produced from
it (or any other document for that matter).

Dan wrote:
i recently upgraded to Word 2003. i have been using the fax wizrd
successfully for years. now when i start the fax wizard and click
next it opens a blank page and exits. previously it walked me through
selecting a template, selecting recipents and sender. i would type my
fax and it would send it. if i manually slect a template and manually
fill it out then use send to and select a recipent, for my address
book every thing works fine. so i know that microsoft fax is
installed and working. i have tried using help and nothing it
suggests seems to work either. What am i missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dan Carroll

I like this tip, but how do you add another document to be faxed to you Word
cover sheet template. I am looking for an easy (elegant) solution. I know I
can send faxes from Outlook and send multiple documents as attachements. The
one thing that I can not do with the Fax Wizard though is to use (or make)
additional Recipient fields beyond the 2 that the wizard (and cover sheet)
allow -- the name and fax number. I need to be able to add Company Name, Job
Number, Project Name, etc. to the Recipient information on the cover sheet.
Any ideas? I was thinking about creating a stand-alone app but am looking to
see if any other ideas surface.

Thanks, Dan Carroll

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I always found the fax wizard too much trouble. You may (as I did) find it
simpler to create a template for your faxes, then use the method at
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm to send fax documents produced from
it (or any other document for that matter).
Good

Dan wrote:
i recently upgraded to Word 2003. i have been using the fax wizrd
successfully for years. now when i start the fax wizard and click
next it opens a blank page and exits. previously it walked me through
selecting a template, selecting recipents and sender. i would type my
fax and it would send it. if i manually slect a template and manually
fill it out then use send to and select a recipent, for my address
book every thing works fine. so i know that microsoft fax is
installed and working. i have tried using help and nothing it
suggests seems to work either. What am i missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The problem is maintaining the format of the documents if you combine them
to produce a single output. For this I would use MightyFax (though I am sure
others could do it). You create separate faxes on file for each document
then you can create a fax in MightyFax and add the individual files to send
a combined fax. I have only ever had to do this once with some contract
documents but it did the job.

Dan wrote:
i recently upgraded to Word 2003. i have been using the fax wizrd
successfully for years. now when i start the fax wizard and click
next it opens a blank page and exits. previously it walked me
through selecting a template, selecting recipents and sender. i
would type my fax and it would send it. if i manually slect a
template and manually fill it out then use send to and select a
recipent, for my address book every thing works fine. so i know
that microsoft fax is installed and working. i have tried using
help and nothing it suggests seems to work either. What am i
missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I think you could probably do something similar using the Microsoft Office
Document Image Writer - print each document you want to fax to the Image
Writer, then combine the documents using the Image Writer. Then print to fax
from the Image Writer. You can create new fax cover sheets for Microsoft Fax
using the Fax Cover Page Editor (which comes with Windows, I think). Not
elegant, but since it's also possible to automate the Image Writer it might
be possible to make this slightly simpler than it sounds. If you happene to
have the full Adobe Acrobat, you can also combine output using that and
print the result to fax.

Never tried it though.

Peter Jamieson