Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rjr

Default A Merge letter requiring one or more different different mege letters depending on entry in fields

Hello,
I have a form letter that is set up to merge in excel and includes an
envelope. The end product is an merged envelope and merged letter, ready for
mailing.

I have five fields inside the first letter that are if statements. each name
is a specific formatted if statement inside of word accessed by alt f9
........................investigation of Johnmike, Inc dba Cardinal Fence
Concepts, in Anyland, North Carolina substantiated that
Michael P. Smith, merge field two
Wanda P. Catchup merge field three
, Indago E. Johnston, merge field four
Jack T. Begone merge field five
and you,............
My issue is I need to print a merged letter and envelope for the original
employer and if merge field two has an entry I need to merge another letter
and envelope BUT the merge fields must be altered to show merge field two as
the main merge and listing the additional names in the body portion of the
letter. If merge field three has entries then another copy of the letter
should be brought up and again the merge field three should be the primary
addressee and the other names altered in the narrative.

I need some help on how to get these modified mail merge letters to show up
for merging IF the fields have data, and if there is no data in the fields
then the letters would not show up for printing. I hope I've explained it
well and appreciate any help that can be given. Bob Reynolds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi rjr

rjr wrote:
I have a form letter that is set up to merge in excel and includes an
envelope. The end product is an merged envelope and merged letter, ready for
mailing.

[..]
My issue is I need to print a merged letter and envelope for the original
employer and if merge field two has an entry I need to merge another letter
and envelope BUT the merge fields must be altered to show merge field two as
the main merge and listing the additional names in the body portion of the
letter. If merge field three has entries then another copy of the letter
should be brought up and again the merge field three should be the primary
addressee and the other names altered in the narrative.

I need some help on how to get these modified mail merge letters to show up
for merging IF the fields have data, and if there is no data in the fields
then the letters would not show up for printing. I hope I've explained it
well and appreciate any help that can be given. Bob Reynolds

In theorie, you might get away with doing this all in a single mailmerge
document. At the end of the main letter, you insert an IF field which
tests your first "copy" condition, and inserts all the rest inside this
field. Also, if you might need yet another copy, this could be done
right inside this (very large!) IF field, too.

But the field construct will get very ugly!

I would suggest two alternative approaches:

- make three separate mailmerge documents, #2 and #3 for your copies, and/or

- use VBA to create the copies on-the-fly during the mailmerge.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS