Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
raymondvalentine raymondvalentine is offline

Default Strange lines appeared. Help

Hi I have a problem that came up in a document. They look like dotted squares
and they seem to act as page breaks but there are no page breaks in the
document. I can't seem to delete them or do anything with them. If I click
on a word before the line and hit delete enough times it will disappear but
seems to appear in other places. I tried to copy and paste in here but they
don't show up, only These lines appeared and I can't figure out what they are
or why they are there and they seem to be random. Can anyone help solve this
mystery?
Thanks
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Most likely the black square bullet indicates "Keep with next" and/or "Keep
lines together" formatting, the combination of which could result in a page
break. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"raymondvalentine" wrote in
message news
Hi I have a problem that came up in a document. They look like dotted
squares
and they seem to act as page breaks but there are no page breaks in the
document. I can't seem to delete them or do anything with them. If I
click
on a word before the line and hit delete enough times it will disappear
but
seems to appear in other places. I tried to copy and paste in here but
they
don't show up, only These lines appeared and I can't figure out what they
are
or why they are there and they seem to be random. Can anyone help solve
this
mystery?
Thanks
Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. I checked the document but was unable to change anything. I also read through the linked page but this seems to be a different problem. Two images of the document are here if you can take a look to see if this makes sense. http://conchstyle.com/wordproblem.html

Thanks again

Derek
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

The lines are most likely borders applied to some of the paragraphs. See:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"raymondvalentine" wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"raymondvalentine" wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Most likely the black square bullet indicates "Keep with next" and/or "Keep
lines together" formatting, the combination of which could result in a page
break. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"raymondvalentine" wrote in
message news Hi I have a problem that came up in a document. They look like dotted
[...]

Great, that did it. Thank you so much

Derek

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HelenL HelenL is offline

Hello,

I also have a gremlin line in my document, and none of the solutions I have
been reading about help. This one is really weird, and the only way to get
rid of it is to select all 230 pages and clear the formatting, which will
have lost hours of work.

This line when viewed in Page layout looks like a small box about 1cm wide
and 6 cm long. Inside is a lien that spans the whole 6 cm. In normal layout
view, it looks like a pagebreak, but it is not.

any clues?

How do I send a screen shot?

thanks

"raymondvalentine" wrote:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HelenL HelenL is offline

So it is. So simple, and yet something I just didn't think about. I rarely
use footnotes. There is a tiny number "1" in the paragraph above, so of
course once I delete that it is fine. I was just helping a mate at work who
had cut an pasted some text from another document, hence picking it up
without realising it.

thank you very much.