Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamW

Default Can I protect a "protected" document from being deleted and replac

I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been saved as a
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name Document A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected" Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

It sounds to me like you want a template.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"PamW" wrote:

I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been saved as a
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name Document A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected" Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Carol is right. You want a template. The idea in Word is that if you are
going to be creating new documents based on an existing document, you want
the existing document to be saved and constructed as a template. Template
means something special in Word, it isn't simply a form. Often it isn't even
a form.

For information on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new
dialog, and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

Note, templates can also be changed. It is more trouble though and you can
put them in folders where the ordinary user can't delete.

When you are talking protection, are you talking Read-Only? You may want
protection for forms. What I am talking about is what Word calls an "online
form." Check this in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"PamW" wrote in message
news
I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been saved as a
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name Document A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected"
Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamW

Default Can I protect a "protected" document from being deleted and re

The user is not sure that's what she wants to do. Specifically, we have a
template already and the template is protected in a read-only mode that 15
departments use individually and provide report information on. They then
save their report under their own department name and they are read-only
documents under the global directory. These are budget documents and once
they have been completed and submitted, they are not to be altered. However,
we have found that some cases the department does re-enter the report and
makes changes. They then save the new report under a temporarily named file,
delete the original report and then rename and resave the temporarily named
file as the original name. We, of course, have printed out the original
document and can compare and see that there were changes made.
--
PamW

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

"PamW" wrote in message
news
I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been saved as a
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name Document A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected"
Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

In addition to Suzanne's comments, it seems to me you have more of a
training problem than a Word problem. Altering historical documents of this
sort should be a subject of both training and discipline. There's nothing
wrong, so far as I know, with submitting an amended budget, even though it
may be embarrrasing. The legal consequences could be horrendous. Look at
Arthur-Anderson! (But you'll have to look very hard.)
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

"PamW" wrote in message
news
I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been saved as
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name Document
A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected"
Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamW

Yes, that sounds more like it! How do I do that?
--
PamW

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

"PamW" wrote in message
news I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been saved

as a
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read

only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name

Document A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected"
Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

That depends on your networking software. Look up folder rights or
privileges.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds to me as if the finished documents need to be in a folder to
which
users have read-only access (that is, they cannot save or delete files in
that folder).

so
all may benefit.

"PamW" wrote in message
news I wasn't clear enough with my prior post -- Document A has been
saved

as a
"protected" document; however, Jane opens the document as a "read

only"
document, makes changes and saves it as Document B. Jane then
deletes
Document A, then opens Document B and resaves it with the name

Document A.
Can I prevent this from happening, by not allowing the "protected"
Document A
from being deleted?
--
PamW

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's really a Windows issue; if you can't get help from your IT people or
network admin, you can ask in a Windows NG.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds to me as if the finished documents need to be in a folder to

which
users have read-only access (that is, they cannot save or delete files

in
that folder).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.