Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] GiantFlamingo@gmail.com is offline

Default Templates and Docs

Dear Friends,

I have a number of docs in different directories which were all
originally started with a new command using a template I created which
is in my template dir. I am constantly fine tuning this template by
adding new styles and fixing the layout. Is there a way that I can
update all the docs that are using this template to reflect the
changes that I make to the dot? It seems strange that I would have to
start a new doc for each one and cut and paste the contents.

Thanks in advance

Susan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Nope. All you should have to do is open the documents and run AutoFormat
which should then 'correct' the style changes that you made to the template.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
Dear Friends,

I have a number of docs in different directories which were all
originally started with a new command using a template I created which
is in my template dir. I am constantly fine tuning this template by
adding new styles and fixing the layout. Is there a way that I can
update all the docs that are using this template to reflect the
changes that I make to the dot? It seems strange that I would have to
start a new doc for each one and cut and paste the contents.

Thanks in advance

Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Nov 27, 12:22*pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Nope. All you should have to do is open the documents and run AutoFormat
which should then 'correct' the style changes that you made to the template.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't think what you said works.

1) I have template named foo1.dotx
2) It has in it style1, style 2
3) I start new doc, doc1.docx file based on this template
4) I add some text to doc1
5) I open foo1.dotx create new style called style3
6) I save dotx file
7) I return to doc1.dotx and run autoformat
8) No style named style3 exists.
This is what I need to do as well as applying many other changes made
to the original dotx file.

Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can reattach the template and (temporarily!) enable "Automatically
update document styles." This will update *only* the styles, however, not
any layout or content changes you've made in the template. To get all of
those, you must, as you say, create a new document based on the revised
template and insert the old one into it.

wrote in message
Dear Friends,

I have a number of docs in different directories which were all
originally started with a new command using a template I created which
is in my template dir. I am constantly fine tuning this template by
adding new styles and fixing the layout. Is there a way that I can
update all the docs that are using this template to reflect the
changes that I make to the dot? It seems strange that I would have to
start a new doc for each one and cut and paste the contents.

Thanks in advance

Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Ah! That won't work with a new style, only updates to already existing
styles. However, Suzanne's solution will work to get the new styles across
to existing documents, but you will still need to apply the new styles to
the appropriate bits.

Terry

wrote in message

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't think what you said works.

1) I have template named foo1.dotx
2) It has in it style1, style 2
3) I start new doc, doc1.docx file based on this template
4) I add some text to doc1
5) I open foo1.dotx create new style called style3
6) I save dotx file
7) I return to doc1.dotx and run autoformat
8) No style named style3 exists.
This is what I need to do as well as applying many other changes made
to the original dotx file.

Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] GiantFlamingo@gmail.com is offline

to get all of those, you must, as you say, create a new document based on the revised
template and insert the old one into it.

Hard to believe in age of technology. Boohoo.
MikeYellob MikeYellob is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

When you create a document based upon a selected template, MS Word them copies all styles and format from that template. Once it is done, that new document has no relationship with existing template.

The way you wanted is only possible by using Normal.doc which is commonly available to all documents.

Another way could be for advanced users to write down macro that encapsulate all formating and then just run that macro on new document so that it should update styles and formats based upon chosen template.

Hope it will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post