Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default "Same as previous" loses an item midway thru doc

Word 2003, XP: I use two Styleref fields in a header, and use "Same as
previous" for all the sections after the first. But on one of the sections,
the second of the Stylref fields disappears. I'm unable to trick Word into
giving it back. I've tried switching "Keep with next" off and back on,
removed the section break and added it again. When I try adding the missing
Styleref field at the point where it disappears, it doesn't show, whether
"Keep with next" is turned on or not. The style in question didn't get
accidentally applied elsewhere in the document. So I'm stumped. Would
appreciate suggestions.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you sure the field itself is really missing? Press Alt+F9 to display
field codes and make sure that it is actually absent from the header. If so,
post back.

If the field is still there but is not resulting in any text, then it is
almost certain that the style has been inadvertently applied to a blank
line, page break, or the like. You can use Find to search for the style.

BTW, I assume you know that using a StyleRef field can make it unnecessary
to have section breaks in order to change the header text, so I would guess
that the section breaks are necessary for some other reason, such as chapter
openings with a different First Page Header?

http://word.mvps.org

"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" u3143@uwe wrote in message
Word 2003, XP: I use two Styleref fields in a header, and use "Same as
previous" for all the sections after the first. But on one of the
sections,
the second of the Stylref fields disappears. I'm unable to trick Word into
giving it back. I've tried switching "Keep with next" off and back on,
removed the section break and added it again. When I try adding the
missing
Styleref field at the point where it disappears, it doesn't show, whether
"Keep with next" is turned on or not. The style in question didn't get
accidentally applied elsewhere in the document. So I'm stumped. Would
appreciate suggestions.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Are you sure the field itself is really missing?

I thought I knew the answer to this, but you're right: F9 does show the field.
It's not there if you just try pointing to it, however.

If the field is still there but is not resulting in any text, then it is
almost certain that the style has been inadvertently applied to a blank
line, page break, or the like.

No, it's pointing to the correct style, and it displays correctly in earlier
sections before something changes it. I tried copying and pasting the same
field from a header where it works correctly, and it briefly shows and then
disappears.

... I would guess that the section breaks are necessary for some other
reason, such as chapter openings with a different First Page Header?

Actually the best use for them is to use Go To next or previous section,
which are assigned to keys. But the footer and header definitions don't
change. Maybe that isn't a good enough reason to deal with this problem?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I didn't say it was pointing to the wrong style. I said that you very likely
have that style applied to something that's blank. Use Find to search for
the style in the vicinity of that StyleRef and see if Find stops on some
place that is NOT a heading (or whatever else it is that you're using the
StyleRef to pick up).

It's always a good idea to omit section breaks if they aren't needed; adding
them just makes the document unnecessarily complex. Instead of using the
browse arrows (or Ctrl+PageDown/PageUp) to go to the next or previous
section, would it work to go to the next or previous heading? Set Heading as
the browse object and you can use the same shortcuts.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

I forgot to mention I searched for the style (which is the document title) in
the rest of the document, but it has only the first, correct, instance.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I didn't say it was pointing to the wrong style. I said that you very likely
have that style applied to something that's blank. Use Find to search for
the style in the vicinity of that StyleRef

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

At your (implied) suggestion, I got rid of all the section breaks except the
division between the front matter and the first section. The Styleref still
disappears at the same point. Another bit of information is that, even when I
had section breaks, the point where it disappears was not (and still isn't)
the beginning of a section. It occurs at a point where I see nothing that
would afffect headers or footers. Another of Word's hidden dependencies, I
guess.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

I finally did a "Save as" to make a new document, and the problem is gone.
Never did figure out what caused it.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

You may be right, but there's also a project name, and both are subject to
change. I'm trying to interest my group in templates and the idea that you
can add a piece if information (such as a date) and it can show up in other
places. So these Stylrefs are in my template.