Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
A Leech

Default pleading format macro

Does anybody have a macro to insert into an existing document that inserts
pleading format - line number and borders?? Or a suggestion to prevent
losing the formatting of a document when cut and pasted into the pleading
template? Unfortunately I get documents from somebody who doesn't use
styles. . . and I have to reformat everything when I paste into template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
A Leech

Because the formatting is lost (italics, bold, spacing, etc.) styles are not
being used by the attorneys and when you are working on a large number of
documents at one time cutting and pasting, renaming and reformatting them all
is not really an effective use of time and there is always the risk of
getting interrupted and saving over something wrong. I CANNOT be the only
who is so frustrated with this in Word. I purchased a book specifically for
law firms to help with this and they do nothing but push their software and
give you instructions for the wizard, which is useless to me.

"A Leech" wrote in message
Does anybody have a macro to insert into an existing document that inserts
pleading format - line number and borders?? Or a suggestion to prevent
losing the formatting of a document when cut and pasted into the pleading
template? Unfortunately I get documents from somebody who doesn't use
styles. . . and I have to reformat everything when I paste into template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If the new template contains the same styles you're pasting in, formatting
should not be lost. OTOH, turning on line numbering and a single-side page
border should not be that difficult. If what you want is the text box +
drawing line combination that's found in the Pleading Wizard, then why not
save that as an AutoText entry and insert it in the header of the existing
document?

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why not paste the document into one based on a template that includes

the
line numbers and borders?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"A Leech" wrote in message
Does anybody have a macro to insert into an existing document that

inserts
pleading format - line number and borders?? Or a suggestion to

prevent
losing the formatting of a document when cut and pasted into the

pleading
template? Unfortunately I get documents from somebody who doesn't use
styles. . . and I have to reformat everything when I paste into

template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
A Leech

The attorney is not using styles - I have to reformat headings, double
indents, with cites, etc. It is difficult because there are several steps
and they are not lined out anywhere - it is assumed that the wizard is
adequate (it is not) and there are not specific step by step directions and I
would assume they are lengthy to get the format correct to specifics. We use
a double line on the left with numbering and a sinlge line right. To do that
over and over is ridiculous - working in a law office you would do this
repetitively day after day. Also, the line numbering spacing gets messed up
when inserting text and cutting and pasting.

I have tried autotext - it works on a new blank document, but not in a
document that is already created.

Also, we are emailing the documents to other attorneys and when we get them
back some have line numbers missing.

From the number of posts on this topic I really think your pleading wizard
needs some serious help and more instructions specific to attorneys and
staff.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the new template contains the same styles you're pasting in, formatting
should not be lost. OTOH, turning on line numbering and a single-side page
border should not be that difficult. If what you want is the text box +
drawing line combination that's found in the Pleading Wizard, then why not
save that as an AutoText entry and insert it in the header of the existing
document?

news

"A Leech" wrote in message
Does anybody have a macro to insert into an existing document that

inserts
pleading format - line number and borders?? Or a suggestion to

prevent
losing the formatting of a document when cut and pasted into the

pleading
template? Unfortunately I get documents from somebody who doesn't use
styles. . . and I have to reformat everything when I paste into

template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, it's not *my* Pleading Wizard. I didn't create it, and I've never used
it, nor would I. You'd be much better off creating a template that does what
you want and requiring attorneys to use it.

"A Leech" wrote in message
[...]

From the number of posts on this topic I really think your pleading wizard

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the new template contains the same styles you're pasting in,

formatting
should not be lost. OTOH, turning on line numbering and a single-side

page
border should not be that difficult. If what you want is the text box +
drawing line combination that's found in the Pleading Wizard, then why

not
save that as an AutoText entry and insert it in the header of the

existing
document?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"A Leech" wrote in message
Does anybody have a macro to insert into an existing document that

inserts
pleading format - line number and borders?? Or a suggestion to

prevent
losing the formatting of a document when cut and pasted into the

pleading
template? Unfortunately I get documents from somebody who doesn't

use
styles. . . and I have to reformat everything when I paste into

template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

I concur in Suzanne's judgment of the pleading wizard. It certainly is much
more work than creating a custom template for your jurisdiction(s) and using
that template. If your attorneys used such a template, they would be using
styles, even if they knew nothing about styles, because you would put them
in the template along with some macrobutton fields to prompt for places they
should start typing. See
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton,
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"A Leech" wrote in message
[...]

From the number of posts on this topic I really think your pleading wizard

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the new template contains the same styles you're pasting in,
formatting
should not be lost. OTOH, turning on line numbering and a single-side
page
border should not be that difficult. If what you want is the text box +
drawing line combination that's found in the Pleading Wizard, then why
not
save that as an AutoText entry and insert it in the header of the
existing
document?

so
all may benefit.

news

"A Leech" wrote in message
Does anybody have a macro to insert into an existing document that

inserts
pleading format - line number and borders?? Or a suggestion to

prevent
losing the formatting of a document when cut and pasted into the

pleading
template? Unfortunately I get documents from somebody who doesn't
use
styles. . . and I have to reformat everything when I paste into

template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

LOL. Just try *requiring* an attorney to use it! LOL

Here's what to do:
Make a pleading template just the way you like it.
Make a macro to help with converting the mess you get from the
attorneys. Record things like this -- replace all italics with
highlight. Replace all bold with the STRONG style. Pray to go
there's no underlining.
Open the attorney's file, run the macro, and save.
Open a new doc based on your pleading template, insert the
macroed atty doc, and save.
Now create a second macro -- replace all highlighting with Italic
or Emphasis style.

I've fixed up hundreds of documents doing something similar. I
even collected all the documents into one big file, separated by
manual page breaks, ran the macros, got it into my template, saved it
as read only, then resaved each document.

There must be a macro way to do this in batches. Hmmmm.

*(((({

In the last exciting episode on Sun, 14 May 2006 17:49:01 -0500,
"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

I concur in Suzanne's judgment of the pleading wizard. It certainly is much
more work than creating a custom template for your jurisdiction(s) and using
that template. If your attorneys used such a template, they would be using
styles, even if they knew nothing about styles, because you would put them
in the template along with some macrobutton fields to prompt for places they
should start typing. See
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton,
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields.

How do I mail merge to EMAIL from MS Word AND add a pdf attachment Lily@Insight Mailmerge 24 January 15th 07 09:33 PM
macro runs from keyboard, but not from macro button-why? BobW Microsoft Word Help 7 May 10th 06 11:33 PM
FilePrint macro didn't work after all... janice Microsoft Word Help 11 March 28th 06 06:26 PM
Table in a Form HiDbLevel Tables 12 February 27th 06 12:59 PM
Running document macro from server Intravler New Users 0 March 4th 05 04:33 AM