Anoron

Default How do I get Word XP to mark (highlight, color, etc.) words

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?
garfield-n-odie

If you have a document that contains "some words" highlighted or colored
as you like, then you can add the highlighted or colored words as
formatted AutoCorrect entries. Once the words are in your AutoCorrect
list, then each time you type one of the words, Word will automatically
replace the word with the formatted AutoCorrect entry for that word.

Anoron wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?

Anoron

That is close to what I want to do, but not quite. As an example, let's say
that I have a 5 page document that I need to add another 20 pages to. My
editor has told me that I use the word "so" too much. She kindly marked those
occurences, but I would rather not make the mistake again. Unfortunetally,
there is no one word I can use to replace "so." Therefore, I was wondering if
there is a way (other than the find tool) to mark all of them, perferably as
I type, so that I can use other words instead. Thanks for the tip though.

Anoron wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?

garfield-n-odie

That's what a formatted AutoCorrect entry does. For example, type the
Word "so" (without quotes), and highlight it. Select the highlighted
"so". Click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoCorrect tab | click
the "Formatted text" radio button | type the word "so" (without quotes)
in the "Replace:" box | OK. Now, every time you type the word "so" in a
document, Word will automatically replace "so" with highlighted "so".

Anoron wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Download the free "Word Crayon" from my site at
www.mousetrax.com/downloads.html that was build for this very
purpose...and be sure to check out the TechTrax article associated
with it for details.

You can use it to create a list of words and add any colors you want.
Then run it against any docs and you'll get the highlight notification
you want.

BTW...a newspaper editor created a cliche list as an enhancement to
it...and I plan to add that in the February issue of TechTrax
(www.mousetrax.com/techtrax) should you want to also add that next
month.

Enjoy!

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:33:03 -0800, ?B?QW5vcm9u?=
wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?

Anoron

That is so helpful that I am planning to mention it to the rest of my writers
guild! I do have one question though. Is there a way to make it flag only
entire words (for example it is coloring the word "very" -- even in the word
everything)? Thanks.

wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?

Greg Maxey

Anoron,

I haven't looked at Dian's suggestion yet, but I am going to.

The "Find It" add-in that I have on my website

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Find_it_tool_bar.htm

Will find and highlight "very" in everything.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I
would like to get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them,
color their text, or something like that) so that I can easily see
where and how much I have used them. It would be awesome if I could
color-code the list. Will Word do anything like this?

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

I can't remember exactly, but I believe you can add a space after very
to pick up just the word?

If that doesn't work and it's not explained in the article, email Greg
Chapman through MouseTrax.com from the Contact Us page and he will get
back to you with info. In fact, if it doesn't do it now, he might even
add in that feature if he has time????

(And feel free to send him your "great" comments...I know he'll
appreciate it!wink)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

There are some words that I tend to use too much when I type. I would like to
get Word XP to flag them in some way (highlight them, color their text, or
something like that) so that I can easily see where and how much I have used
them. It would be awesome if I could color-code the list. Will Word do
anything like this?

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

(FYI...Greg wrote this script using FSO and he doesn't mess with
Word's find feature...he manipulates an array compiled from a text
file of keywords. So there's no "File" code to modify.)

Dian ~

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:00:14 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

In the Find dialog, you can select "Whole words only." Perhaps there's a way
to modify the macro accordingly?

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Sorry, Suzanne...you are right. Greg just got home from Boston and we
looked over the code. He DOES eventually use the Find routine in Word
and yes...adding Whole Word would do it.

Thanks for bringing that up!wink

wrote:

In the Find dialog, you can select "Whole words only." Perhaps there's a way
to modify the macro accordingly?

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

I just got a chance to check out the code and what you can do is go
into the VBA code inside the template and look for this section of
code:

'================================================= ==
Sub ColorWords(ByVal strText As String, _
ByVal MyColor As Variant)

With ActiveDocument.Content.Find
.ClearFormatting
With .Replacement
.ClearFormatting
.Font.Color = MyColor
End With
.Execute FindText:=strText, ReplaceWith:=strText, _
Format:=True, Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End With

End Sub
'================================================= ==

You can add the

.MatchWholeWord = True

....argument as Suzanne suggests and that'll give you a refine search.
I didn't look at the article well enough before to rememeber that Greg
eventually does call a find/replace routine. So change the above
section of code so it looks like this:

'================================================= ==
Sub ColorWords(ByVal strText As String, _
ByVal MyColor As Variant)

With ActiveDocument.Content.Find
.ClearFormatting
With .Replacement
.ClearFormatting
.MatchWholeWord = True '--- this is the new line
.Font.Color = MyColor
End With
.Execute FindText:=strText, ReplaceWith:=strText, _
Format:=True, Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End With

End Sub
'================================================= ==

Have fun!

wrote:

That is so helpful that I am planning to mention it to the rest of my writers
guild! I do have one question though. Is there a way to make it flag only
entire words (for example it is coloring the word "very" -- even in the word
everything)? Thanks.

Anoron

That looks as though it will be very helpful. However, I'm not exactly sure
how to get to the code (or which file it is in). I am familiar with script
coding because I work some with HTML and Javascript, but that is it. I'm
perfectly comfortable following your instructions for editing the script,
once I get into it. Thanks for all your help.

wrote:

That is so helpful that I am planning to mention it to the rest of my writers
guild! I do have one question though. Is there a way to make it flag only
entire words (for example it is coloring the word "very" -- even in the word
everything)? Thanks.

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Check out this TechTrax article and it'll explain it.

Sharing Macros

And I also have a free macro video lesson he
http://www.mousetrax.com/TechCourses.html#samples

Click on the link for MACRO when you arrive at the above link. It
shows you how to modify code.

What you'll need to do is really pretty easy. You need to open the
template that you download by using File Open or right click and
choose OPEN. Then hit Alt + F11 to access the VB editor. It'll look a
little wierd in thereg...but just double click on the code module
listed under the project for that template name and scroll around. You
can even use the Edit Find to search for the *ColorWords* procedure.
Then just scroll down to find the EXACT line...hit enter one time and
align the line of code I show you below.

Note that you may be warned that you've modified the code and will
lost the digital signature. NOT to worry. MouseTrax leaves the code
open, but adds our DigSig...which just helps to show that you get the
code unmolested by others. Since YOU are the one changing the
code...you'll know it's still save. That is only a security feature
and will not hamper the use of the code, although you may now be
warned that the dot contains macros and will need to click Enable each
time you use it.

Good luck! (Feel free to email me directly if you get stuck! You can
do that with my email address here or via the contact sheet on
MouseTrax.com.)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

'================================================ ===

wrote:

That is so helpful that I am planning to mention it to the rest of my writers
guild! I do have one question though. Is there a way to make it flag only
entire words (for example it is coloring the word "very" -- even in the word
everything)? Thanks.

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

Whoa! Stop the presses!

Notice that I made an error when I tossed this first message up. The
Match line needs to move up into the FIND procedure not the
Replacement!

'================================================ ===
Sub ColorWords(ByVal strText As String, _
ByVal MyColor As Variant)

With ActiveDocument.Content.Find
.ClearFormatting
.MatchWholeWord = True '--- new line goes here!
With .Replacement
.ClearFormatting
.Font.Color = MyColor
End With
.Execute FindText:=strText, ReplaceWith:=strText, _
Format:=True, Replace:=wdReplaceAll

End With

End Sub
'================================================ ===

Sorry for any confusion. That'll teach me to rush! ;-)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

ddwh

This doesn't solve your problem but for suggestions on word replacements I
love the free download that is great!

http://wordweb.info/free/

It will even suggest words to replace "so"