Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncs Duncs is offline

Default Multiple TOC's & sorting Alphabetically

I have a document, that is laid out as follows:

Component 1 Data Model
Component 1 Table 1
Component 1 Table 2
Component 1 Table 3
Component 1 Table 4
Component 2 Data Model
Component 2 Table 1
Component 2 Table 2
Component 2 Table 3
Component 2 Table 4
Component 2 Table 5
Component 2 Table 6
Component 3 Data Model
Component 3 Table 1

Within my document, I want there to be three TOC's at the start,
namely:

List of Data Models
List of Tables (Alphabetical)
Symbols

The List of Data Models would list only those pages that contain a
"Component x Data Model" header.

The List of Tables (Alphabetical), would contain an alphabetical list
of all pages with a heading of "Component x Table x".

The Symbols would list entries on the page with that heading.

Is the above possible, and if so, how do I achieve it?

Rgds

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your list of tables can most easily be constructed as an index, which will
require inserting XE fields. You could create it as a TOC, unlink it, and
sort it, but if you want it to be in ABC order and updatable, an index is
the way to go. It should be pretty easy to do, however: just select each
table title, press Alt+Shift+X, accept the default entry, and go.

Note that if you have the headings formatted as "Page break before," you may
need to move the XE fields into the next paragraph to ensure correct page
numbers in the index.

"Duncs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a document, that is laid out as follows:

Component 1 Data Model
Component 1 Table 1
Component 1 Table 2
Component 1 Table 3
Component 1 Table 4
Component 2 Data Model
Component 2 Table 1
Component 2 Table 2
Component 2 Table 3
Component 2 Table 4
Component 2 Table 5
Component 2 Table 6
Component 3 Data Model
Component 3 Table 1

Within my document, I want there to be three TOC's at the start,
namely:

List of Data Models
List of Tables (Alphabetical)
Symbols

The List of Data Models would list only those pages that contain a
"Component x Data Model" header.

The List of Tables (Alphabetical), would contain an alphabetical list
of all pages with a heading of "Component x Table x".

The Symbols would list entries on the page with that heading.

Is the above possible, and if so, how do I achieve it?

Rgds

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncs Duncs is offline

Suzanne,

When you say "just select each table title, press Alt+Shift+X, accept
the default entry, and go", do you mean the heading at the top of each
page, or the entry in the table itself?

Duncs

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Your list of tables can most easily be constructed as an index, which will
require inserting XE fields. You could create it as a TOC, unlink it, and
sort it, but if you want it to be in ABC order and updatable, an index is
the way to go. It should be pretty easy to do, however: just select each
table title, press Alt+Shift+X, accept the default entry, and go.

Note that if you have the headings formatted as "Page break before," you may
need to move the XE fields into the next paragraph to ensure correct page
numbers in the index.

"Duncs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a document, that is laid out as follows:

Component 1 Data Model
Component 1 Table 1
Component 1 Table 2
Component 1 Table 3
Component 1 Table 4
Component 2 Data Model
Component 2 Table 1
Component 2 Table 2
Component 2 Table 3
Component 2 Table 4
Component 2 Table 5
Component 2 Table 6
Component 3 Data Model
Component 3 Table 1

Within my document, I want there to be three TOC's at the start,
namely:

List of Data Models
List of Tables (Alphabetical)
Symbols

The List of Data Models would list only those pages that contain a
"Component x Data Model" header.

The List of Tables (Alphabetical), would contain an alphabetical list
of all pages with a heading of "Component x Table x".

The Symbols would list entries on the page with that heading.

Is the above possible, and if so, how do I achieve it?

Rgds

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I am referring to the table caption or title, whatever it is that you want
to appear in your list of tables.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Your list of tables can most easily be constructed as an index, which

will
require inserting XE fields. You could create it as a TOC, unlink it,

and
sort it, but if you want it to be in ABC order and updatable, an index

is
the way to go. It should be pretty easy to do, however: just select each
table title, press Alt+Shift+X, accept the default entry, and go.

Note that if you have the headings formatted as "Page break before," you

may
need to move the XE fields into the next paragraph to ensure correct

page
numbers in the index.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Duncs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a document, that is laid out as follows:

Component 1 Data Model
Component 1 Table 1
Component 1 Table 2
Component 1 Table 3
Component 1 Table 4
Component 2 Data Model
Component 2 Table 1
Component 2 Table 2
Component 2 Table 3
Component 2 Table 4
Component 2 Table 5
Component 2 Table 6
Component 3 Data Model
Component 3 Table 1

Within my document, I want there to be three TOC's at the start,
namely:

List of Data Models
List of Tables (Alphabetical)