usergal

Default restart numbered lists in master documents

I broke up a large document (~150 pages and growing with a lot of graphics)
into multiple subdocuments and created a master document. Each of the
subdocuments contains a lot of numbered lists separated by sections of
narrative text. Each of the numbered lists is formatted according to a style
that I created and I added the identical style to both the subdocuments and
master document. When I open the individual documents, the numbered lists all
restart as they should each time a new list appears. However, when I open the
documents from the master and click the Expand Subdocuments button, the lists
become consecutive. I went through the master document and manually restarted
every numbered list, but when I close and open the document again, the
problem reappears. I've also noticed that Word occasionally turns my first
item in the list into a bullet - what's that all about?

My questions a How can I get the lists to automatically restart in the
master document? There are TONS of them and manually restarting each list
every time I create the full document is out of the question. Also, can I do
anything to prevent Word from converting my first item in the numbered list
into a bullet?