Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Adam

Default Returns in Headers

Good day all,

I have a word document with a header and footer, and a top margin of 7".
Inside the header I need to enter exactly 27 carriage returns in the header
to line up the text and image correctly. As soon as I hit the 24th carriage
return, the header image and text disappear. Can someone offer assistance
into this problem. Thanks.
--
Adam Sullivan
Consultant
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hello Adam

Adam wrote:
I have a word document with a header and footer, and a top margin of 7".
Inside the header I need to enter exactly 27 carriage returns in the header
to line up the text and image correctly.

Aside from the fact that "hitting RETURN 27 times" is usually far from
good practice in a text processor: why do you need to do this? Can you
elaborate what exactly you have placed where (picture in the header, or
in the main body text, something else in the other story)? I'm sure we
can come up with a better method for your alignment troubles.

As soon as I hit the 24th carriage
return, the header image and text disappear. Can someone offer assistance
into this problem. Thanks.

IIRC the H&F areas cannot grow (much) larger than half the page size.
[Something that's only _anchored_ there, like a floating Shape (picture,
for instance) _can_ extend onto the other half, though.] If you keep on
adding more than fits into the max size, the header story seems to
behave like a fixed-height table cell (i.e., content is pushed outside
of it and is not visible).

HTH
Robert
--