PS

Default How do I put legend in a figure caption

Hi

I am writing a paper in MS Word Office 2003. I have a few bar graphs
which I have made in Excel work sheet. I am trying to import these bar
graphs as figures into my word document. I have been successful for the
most part. However, there is a small problem related to the legends.

Due to one reason or another, I am supposed to include the legends of
the bar graphs in the figure captions in the word document. How do I do
that? In other words, is there a systematic method to include the legend
(the square boxes representing the bars of the graph) in the figure
caption? I have tried to make square graphic objects manually, but this
is prone to human error and I do not know how to make checkered and
hatched patterns in the squares.

All help is greatly appreciated. I am using Office 2003 on a Windows XP
professional (fully updated) system.

thanks
PS
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I put legend in a figure caption

Hi there!

Including the legend of a bar graph in the figure caption is actually quite simple in Microsoft Word. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Insert your bar graph into your Word document by copying and pasting it from Excel or by using the "Insert Picture" function in Word.
  2. Right-click on the graph and select "Format Picture" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Picture" dialog box, select the "Layout" tab.
  4. Under "Properties," check the box next to "Alt Text."
  5. In the "Description" field, type in the text you want to appear in the figure caption, including the legend information. For example, you could write "Figure 1: Bar graph showing the number of apples and oranges sold in Q1 2021. The blue bars represent apples and the orange bars represent oranges."
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  7. Now, when you insert a caption for the figure, the text you typed in the "Description" field will automatically appear in the caption.

That's it! You don't need to manually create graphic objects or worry about making checkered or hatched patterns. Just make sure to include all the relevant information in the "Description" field when you format the picture.
__________________
Anne Troy

No. No systematic method. Off the top of my head, I'd use a screen capture
program like SnagIt from www.Techsmith.com. Capture the legend on the
chart--paste to Word, then remove the legend from the chart, then copy and
paste the chart.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"PS" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Shauna Kelly

Hi PS

The "professional" way to do this (that's to say the way a book publisher or
an academic journal would do it) is to require the image of the graph to be
entirely self-contained. That is, the image coming in from Excel should
include title, axis titles and legend. Conceptually, that is because the
graph is not complete without its legend. Practically, that is because it's
not possible to duplicate exactly the colour or shading in an legend outside
the graph.

If you really need to separate the legend from its chart, then one way is to
cheat. That is, copy the graph (with its legend) into Word twice (for what
it's worth, I always do this by doing Edit Paste Special and pasting as an
Enhanced Metafile picture). Then, double-click the graph and on the Picture
tab, crop away the legend on the first one, and crop away the graph itself
on the second. You may have to forego any fancy backgrounds, and it might be
better to add the border around the graph in Word rather than Excel. In any
case, you'll need to experiment.

Alternatively, you'll have to use Text Boxes in the caption (which now isn't
a caption, it's a legend). If you can't see the Drawing toolbar, then do
View Toolbars and tick Drawing. Create a text box and double-click it. On
the Colours and Lines tab, click in the Colour drop-down list and choose
Fill Effects. The problem with doing this is that the scale of the checks
and hatches won't necessarily match the graph. So you won't be able to do
(say) a small hatch for one item and a large hatch for the other, because
you won't be able to replicate that in Word.

The following may also help:

The draw layer: a metaphysical space
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/DrawLayer.htm

and

How to keep a figure on the same page as its caption
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/figu...thcaption.html

But for the record, it is *much* better to include the legend with the
graph, because a legend is part of the graph, and the graph can't be
interpreted without its legend.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"PS" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Leonardo911 Leonardo911 is offline
Junior Member

I think it's a good idea to use implementing wccp to rout streaming traffic. The british assignment writers online can help you to make a*comparison between these pbr and wccp route.

belaruskin belaruskin is offline
Junior Member

Safe enough to let you know that it does not violate any rules. You can download everything from instagram using the insta downloader, insta story downloaderand you will not face any issue with it. The only thing you need to know is that the content you are trying to save is under the insta law and regulations