auto text, auto correct, auto complete

Old January 28th 09, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda4343

Default auto text, auto correct, auto complete

I just switched from Word 2000 to 2007. In Word 2000 I was able to start a
letter with the date and was prompted to the name of the month and then the
actual date. All I had to do was hit "enter". In addition, when I started
typing "Dear ..." I was prompted to "Dear Sir or Madam:". These examples
are a few that come to mind at the moment. I have picked up three books
from the library for answers, but I can't find any. As I am taking Power
Point and Excel classes I told my instructor that this feature is gone in
2007. He immediately went to his computer and lo and behold, it works on
his!!!!! I don't know what I am doing wrong, or am I missing something. I
have tried the "auto text replace" feature, but it doesn't do what Word 2000
did. I have spent hours and hours both on the computer and books. I am
totally frustrated. Please help!!!!! Linda Morrow
Old January 28th 09, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_]

Linda,

"Dear ..." I was prompted to "Dear Sir or Madam:"

If your instructor typed "Dear ..." on his computer and was prompted with
"Dear Sir or Madam" and he is using Word2007 then his particular
installation of Word2007 is unlike any that I have ever seen or heard of
because the Show AutoComplete Suggestions feature has unfortunately been
removed from Word2007.

The date completion feature does still work. type Janu and a prompt
"January (Press enter to insert)" should still appear. Press enter and
"January" is inserted. Don't press enter but continue to type out January +
a space and "January 28, 2009 (Press enter to insert)" should appear.

All is not lost. If you type Dear then press F3 your BuildingBlock defined
for "Dear" should still appear. For more on Word2007 Building Blocks see:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Word2007_B...&_AutoText.htm

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old January 28th 09, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Well, AutoCorrect continues to operate pretty much the same as in the past
several versions. However, AutoComplete is what has been axed:-) although it
should still work only for Dates.

The AutoText feature still exists but the entries don't insert on pressing
the Enter key in Word 2007. However, if you start to type a known item that
would normally insert an AutoText Item you can press F3 to finish it.

Have a go at Word's Help on Quick Parts & Building Blocks.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/28/09 4:39 PM, in article