Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barbara Barbara is offline

Default Default minimum length for envelopes is wrong.

MS Word has a built in gauge which does not allow envelopes to be printed if
they are under the minimum requirements for the USPO. However, the length
measurements is wrong. The mim length at the USPS is 5 inches, see he
http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...cs/letters.htm

That's 12.5 cm, but your Word envelop software insist on changing my custom
specs to meet 16.5 cm in length. It totally screws up my envelopes. How can I
change or eliminate this incorrect information?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Accept the 16.5, then click on the Add to Document button and then with the
selection in the envelope, use the FilePage Setup dialog to reduce the
width of the envelope to 12.5.

Also see the "Changing Word Envelope Layouts" item on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Barbara" wrote in message
MS Word has a built in gauge which does not allow envelopes to be printed
if
they are under the minimum requirements for the USPO. However, the length
measurements is wrong. The mim length at the USPS is 5 inches, see he
http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...cs/letters.htm

That's 12.5 cm, but your Word envelop software insist on changing my
custom
specs to meet 16.5 cm in length. It totally screws up my envelopes. How
can I
change or eliminate this incorrect information?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barbara Barbara is offline

Well, yes, I could do that, but it doesn't address the root cause -- which is
that the minimum envelope lenght in Word Envelopes and Labels is not correct.

I read Mr. Mayor's comments as well, and frankly it seems like a whole lot
of trouble to circumvent an obvious error in the software.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I suggest you contact Microsoft directly concerning USPS requirements. Most
if not all of the people in here are volunteers and many of us are not even
in the U.S.A.

FWIW other people have mentioned other shortcomings with USPS barcoding in
Word and I, for one, have passed on those messages to Microsoft, though I
assume they have had similar messages from far more convincing sources than
me :-) Precisely what they will do with those messages is another question,
but since yours is the first message I've seen about the envelope size issue
it's probably worth passing it on directly - you could for example e-mail

Peter Jamieson
"Barbara" wrote in message
Well, yes, I could do that, but it doesn't address the root cause -- which
is
that the minimum envelope lenght in Word Envelopes and Labels is not
correct.

I read Mr. Mayor's comments as well, and frankly it seems like a whole lot
of trouble to circumvent an obvious error in the software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word provides formats for the commonly available Envelope Sizes. While the
USPS may accept envelopes of the size that you want to use, that does not
make it a common size.

--

"Barbara" wrote in message
Well, yes, I could do that, but it doesn't address the root cause -- which
is
that the minimum envelope lenght in Word Envelopes and Labels is not
correct.

I read Mr. Mayor's comments as well, and frankly it seems like a whole lot
of trouble to circumvent an obvious error in the software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barbara Barbara is offline

It's not about common sizes at all. MS Word envelope software will not allow
anyone to create addresses for envelopes that are less than 16.5 cm in
length. The actual minimum length for the USPS is 5" -- 12.5 cm.

I can appreciate that I can create a Rube Goldberg style work around for it,
but it just doesn't make sense that there is a minimum, which is wrong and is
probably based on the language I select.

When I lived in Tokyo -- I never used the envelopes feature partially
because I even though I was writing in English I was still using the Japan
Post, and had to adhere to their standards, which don't show up at all in
Env&Labels in Word English.

"Barbara" wrote in message
Well, yes, I could do that, but it doesn't address the root cause -- which
is
that the minimum envelope lenght in Word Envelopes and Labels is not
correct.

I read Mr. Mayor's comments as well, and frankly it seems like a whole lot
of trouble to circumvent an obvious error in the software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The lengths of envelopes has nothing to do with the software, and everything
to do with the current printer driver.
Word can only create what the driver will allow it to do. Most drivers are
poor with custom page sizes and will adopt the nearest standard page size,
hence the workarounds.

Barbara wrote:
Well, yes, I could do that, but it doesn't address the root cause --
which is that the minimum envelope lenght in Word Envelopes and
Labels is not correct.

I read Mr. Mayor's comments as well, and frankly it seems like a
whole lot of trouble to circumvent an obvious error in the software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barbara Barbara is offline

Ah HAH! Now we may be getting somewhere. So it's not driven by data
embedded in Word, correct? So it's data embedded in my print driver? You
know, I started out thinking I needed to ask this question of Hewlett
Packard, which is the maker of my printer. But I (wrongly) assumed that it
was something in Word not the printer or the print drivers. Thanks for the
tip.