Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BCHS BCHS is offline

Default Dollars and cents

How do I add a cents symbol in a Microsoft Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

BCHS wrote:
How do I add a cents symbol in a Microsoft Word?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for general
information.

The cent symbol is in most fonts as character (decimal) 162, meaning that
you can hold down the Alt key while typing 0162 on the number pad (with
NumLock turned on) to get ¢ in almost any Windows application. Specifically
in Word, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+/,c is assigned to it (meaning "press
Ctrl and / together, release them, then press c") by default. If you use it
a lot, you can assign an AutoCorrect entry such as /c to insert it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mtnpastor mtnpastor is offline

Jay, you seem knowledgeable about this issue. This is one of the least
intuitive aspects of MS Word. I have Word 2003 with all the updates and to
find the ¢ symbol, I have to go to insert, symbol, then cursor down seven
lines to get to the ¢ symbol. What I find odd about this is the $ symbol is
on the first line of the symbol listing. Why is the ¢ symbol not right next
to it!!! I find this odd and not typical of the way most people think when
they are searching for monetary symbols. Do you agree? I hope you will
communicate this to the MS Word/Office staff to get an update out that will
correct this situation.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BCHS wrote:
How do I add a cents symbol in a Microsoft Word?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for general
information.

The cent symbol is in most fonts as character (decimal) 162, meaning that
you can hold down the Alt key while typing 0162 on the number pad (with
NumLock turned on) to get ¢ in almost any Windows application. Specifically
in Word, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+/,c is assigned to it (meaning "press
Ctrl and / together, release them, then press c") by default. If you use it
a lot, you can assign an AutoCorrect entry such as /c to insert it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I wouldn't go thru all of that for the cents symbol. Just hit Alt + 0162 on
the numbers beypad. So much easier! (That was one of the first things my mom
learned and she's amazed all of her cyber friends with that.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BCHS wrote:
How do I add a cents symbol in a Microsoft Word?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for general
information.

The cent symbol is in most fonts as character (decimal) 162, meaning that
you can hold down the Alt key while typing 0162 on the number pad (with
NumLock turned on) to get ¢ in almost any Windows application.
Specifically
in Word, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+/,c is assigned to it (meaning "press
Ctrl and / together, release them, then press c") by default. If you use
it
a lot, you can assign an AutoCorrect entry such as /c to insert it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mtnpastor mtnpastor is offline

Thanks for the tip JoAnn, but I have learned through this forum that the ¢
symbol can be obtained by holding Ctrl followed by / followed by the letter
c. To me, that is simpler. But it may just be the way my brain works.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BCHS wrote:
How do I add a cents symbol in a Microsoft Word?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for general
information.

The cent symbol is in most fonts as character (decimal) 162, meaning that
you can hold down the Alt key while typing 0162 on the number pad (with
NumLock turned on) to get ¢ in almost any Windows application.
Specifically
in Word, the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+/,c is assigned to it (meaning "press
Ctrl and / together, release them, then press c") by default. If you use
it
a lot, you can assign an AutoCorrect entry such as /c to insert it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The advantage of remembering the ASCII code is that you can use it anywhere,
whereas the Word shortcut works only in Word. Like you, however, I find it
easier to remember Ctrl+/, c (my mind just doesn't retain numbers).

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

BCHS wrote:
[...]

newsgroup
so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

snip
On 12/26/07 2:40 PM, in article
, "mtnpastor"
wrote:

Why is the ¢ symbol not right next
to it!!! I find this odd and not typical of the way most people think when
they are searching for monetary symbols. Do you agree? I hope you will
communicate this to the MS Word/Office staff to get an update out that will
correct this situation.

snip

MS has nothing to do with it - The position of a character in the Insert
Symbols dialog is based on its ASCII* (numerical) value which is assigned
according to industry standards. Although it may seem inconvenient to you it
would be far more confusing to find the needed character if they were
organized based on some arbitrary "preference":-) That's why options are
available to access the characters in customized ways - such as assigning
keystrokes... I've assigned Alt+4 (same key as $).

Despite its importance to some you might be surprised to find that the ¢
symbol is not as widely used as you may think... Note that it isn't included
on the keyboard in the first place. It's far more common to have cent values
indicated as $ .07 rather than as 7¢ - especially for alignment in lists.

*ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange - for more see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac