TracyB

Default macros, templates and toolbar file copying

Hello. I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I am unable
to find it. I need to install the latest version of Word on my laptop and I
would like to copy all of my settings I have on my other computer using Word
2000. I want to be able to copy the templates, macros I have made and the
custom toolbar. I am not very well versed in Word yet, so please be basic
with the answer. Thanks so much! Will these files be compatible with the
latest version of Word (not even sure which version is the latest yet, have
yet to purchase)?
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:18:37 -0800, TracyB
wrote:

Hello. I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I am unable
to find it. I need to install the latest version of Word on my laptop and I
would like to copy all of my settings I have on my other computer using Word
2000. I want to be able to copy the templates, macros I have made and the
custom toolbar. I am not very well versed in Word yet, so please be basic
with the answer. Thanks so much! Will these files be compatible with the
latest version of Word (not even sure which version is the latest yet, have
yet to purchase)?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm for a list
of the files and settings to save before you upgrade. After you
install the new version, you can copy the files back into the same (or
equivalent) places if necessary. It shouldn't be necessary, though --
except for peace of mind -- because you can install the newer version
on top of Word 2000 and the installer will leave all your settings as
is.

The file structure of documents and templates hasn't changed between
Word 2000 and Word 2003 (the current "latest version"), so they will
be compatible. I have documents and templates that I've upgraded
through multiple versions since Word 6.0, and they all work. (There
are some reports in the newsgroups of people whose old documents won't
open in Word 2003. The current theory is that the documents were
damaged, and that Word 2000 was able to ignore problems that Word 2003
complains about. There's a hotfix to work around that.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Charles Kenyon

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"TracyB" wrote in message
Hello. I am sure this question has been asked numerous times but I am
unable
to find it. I need to install the latest version of Word on my laptop and
would like to copy all of my settings I have on my other computer using
Word
2000. I want to be able to copy the templates, macros I have made and the
custom toolbar. I am not very well versed in Word yet, so please be basic
with the answer. Thanks so much! Will these files be compatible with the
latest version of Word (not even sure which version is the latest yet,
have
yet to purchase)?

Tracy B

Thank you both for the links. I will be purchasing the newest version of
Word today to install onto my laptop and hopefully all will go well. If not,
I may be back here to post further questions. Thanks again!