RJB

Default Portable Templates

My templates are all on a desktop, and I modify them frequently.

I also use a laptop a lot, sometimes in the network (conference room, etc.)
and sometimes on the road.

I mapped the folder that contains the templates as a Network Drive, and set
that to be my "User Templates" in File Locations. So far so good.

But what to do when on the road?

I created a suitcase, and set that up as "Workgroup Templates" in File
Locations - thinking that I'd have a live backup of templates, but would only
use it when outside the network... But Word doesn't "find" it, it reverts to
some other "Normal.dot".

Anybody else licked this problem?

Thanks!

Charles Kenyon

Do not make the User Templates folder a network drive. Look into the
Workgroup templates folder.

Set up a login script for your laptop for when it logs into the network.
Have that script copy the workgroup templates from your desktop to your
laptop (or update them) when you log into the network from the laptop.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"RJB" wrote in message
My templates are all on a desktop, and I modify them frequently.

I also use a laptop a lot, sometimes in the network (conference room,
etc.)
and sometimes on the road.

I mapped the folder that contains the templates as a Network Drive, and
set
that to be my "User Templates" in File Locations. So far so good.

But what to do when on the road?

I created a suitcase, and set that up as "Workgroup Templates" in File
Locations - thinking that I'd have a live backup of templates, but would
only
use it when outside the network... But Word doesn't "find" it, it reverts
some other "Normal.dot".

Anybody else licked this problem?

Thanks!

RJB

Thanks. I will try all of that.

But it's a very simple network... A bunch of XP machines that all share a
Workgroup, and map each others hard drives for shared access...

So, IS there a logon script for that?
Charles Kenyon

Probably not. You can put a DOS batch file in your Programs Startup folder
using XCOPY to do the update.

The following is from the XCOPY /? readout:
Copies files and directory trees.

XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]
[/C] [/i] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/G] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/u]
[/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z]
[/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
/A Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
doesn't change the attribute.
/M Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
turns off the archive attribute.
/D:m-d-y Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
If no date is given, copies only those files whose
source time is newer than the destination time.
/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...
Specifies a list of files containing strings. Each string
should be in a separate line in the files. When any of the
strings match any part of the absolute path of the file to be
copied, that file will be excluded from being copied. For
example, specifying a string like \obj\ or .obj will exclude
all files underneath the directory obj or all files with the
.obj extension respectively.
/P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
/S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
/E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
/V Verifies each new file.
/W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
/C Continues copying even if errors occur.
/I If destination does not exist and copying more than one file,
assumes that destination must be a directory.
/Q Does not display file names while copying.
/F Displays full source and destination file names while
copying.
/L Displays files that would be copied.
/G Allows the copying of encrypted files to destination that
does
not support encryption.
/H Copies hidden and system files also.
/R Overwrites read-only files.
/T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does
not
include empty directories or subdirectories. /T /E includes
empty directories and subdirectories.
/U Copies only files that already exist in destination.
/K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only
attributes.
/N Copies using the generated short names.
/O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
/X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).
/Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
existing destination file.
/-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
existing destination file.
/Z Copies networked files in restartable mode.

The switch /Y may be preset in the COPYCMD environment variable.
This may be overridden with /-Y on the command line.
--------------------------

It is worth learning anyway; I don't think there is anything in Windows that
replaces it. If you don't understand DOS syntax, find someone who does to
help you write the command. A batch file is a text file with DOS commands
that ends with the extension .bat.
--

"RJB" wrote in message
Thanks. I will try all of that.

But it's a very simple network... A bunch of XP machines that all share a
Workgroup, and map each others hard drives for shared access...

So, IS there a logon script for that?

RJB

Thanks.

I'm actually trying this on my OE mailboxes, because briefcasing those
wasn't working too well.

Is there a "sync" type command, like on a Palm Pilot? You know, so if both
files have changed - on the desktop and the laptop, it will merge them into a
new complete whole?

Thanks!

"RJB" wrote in message
Thanks. I will try all of that.

But it's a very simple network... A bunch of XP machines that all share a
Workgroup, and map each others hard drives for shared access...

So, IS there a logon script for that?

[/i]