Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MrsMac2000 MrsMac2000 is offline

Default Creating a chart from a table with compatibility mode off - word 2

I can create a chart from a table with compatibility mode ON but if I turn
this off it seems that you cannot create a chart from a table. You have to
insert a chart from scratch and copy\paste the table data into the datasheet.
Is that correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Weeeelllll, Yes & No ;-)

When you use Insert Tab Chart in a .docx the chart is created as a Smart
object using the new graphics engine - which can provide all kinds of lovely
graphic effects but wouldn't know what data to use if it were circled in red
with flashing neon arrows point to it... So yes, you have to copy/paste or
renter the data into the Excel sheet to have it plotted. However...

If you instead use Insert Tab Object - MS Graph Chart it calls the former
charting applet which uses the *old* graphics engine so you get the same
result as you would have automatically if working in a .doc ([Compatibility
Mode]) -- the trade-off, of course, is that you're stuck without the Shadows
& other fancy effects supported by the .docx format.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"MrsMac2000" wrote in message
I can create a chart from a table with compatibility mode ON but if I turn
this off it seems that you cannot create a chart from a table. You have to
insert a chart from scratch and copy\paste the table data into the
datasheet.
Is that correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And any right-thinking disciple of Edward Tufte, when preparing The
Visual Display of Quantitative Information, will eschew "Shadows &
other fancy effects" -- they (thankfully) did away with the marching
ants; why did they leave in all sorts of other chartjunk? (also
Tufte's term)

On May 7, 10:35*am, "CyberTaz" gtz1@comcastdotnet wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MrsMac2000 MrsMac2000 is offline

Default Creating a chart from a table with compatibility mode off - wo

Thankyou Bob, I certainly don't want to use the 2003 graphing tools but we
have some users that may need to for compatibility reasons so it's worth us
knowing. I had forgotten all about the insert, object option - thanks very
much