Stuart

Default Further help, please

Using Office 2003 SBE, I'm setting up a Company fax.
At the moment it's a .doc (not template) and I'm working on setting up the
1st page (ideally without using VBA so that I might avoid Certificate issues
when deploying the fax).

I've set up the FirstPageheader which contains Company
address and logo.
Q1: How to protect/lock for editing this header?

Below the header will be the body of the Fax, so this must be editable by
the user. however it will also contain this type of entry:
Page: " " of " "
where [Page] & [of] are preloaded, but the " " represent
user-editable areas
Q2: How do I do this without code?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards.

TF

Stuart

Open the document and select all the USER editable text areas: next select
Tools, Protect Document. Check Allow only this Type of Editing; select No
Changes (Read Only) from the drop down list if it isn't already selected; in
EXCEPTION, select EVERYONE. Now everyone will be able to edit the text areas
but not the Headers and Footers.

There's no reason why the Page of Numpages and CreateDate shouldn't be in a
header or footer and protected as well. Note to use CreateDate field: when
you open a new document from the template, it will automatically update to
the current date and remain that date because it is the date you have
created the document. However, if you open the template for editing at a
later date, it will still show the date you created the template. Had you
just inserted a plain date field in the fax, if you open it at a later date,
the date will update itself (not what you wanted).

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: I've set up the FirstPageheader which contains Company
: address and logo.
: Q1: How to protect/lock for editing this header?
:
: Below the header will be the body of the Fax, so this must be editable by
: the user. however it will also contain this type of entry:
: Page: " " of " "
: where [Page] & [of] are preloaded, but the " " represent
: user-editable areas
: Q2: How do I do this without code?
:
: Any help much appreciated.
:
: Regards.
:
:

Stuart

Many thanks .... beginning to see how Word protection

works, but if you can bear with me, please:

In a new document (on the same line) I insert bookmarks

to indicate telephone and fax numbers, and give each bookmark a value......
so it looks similar to:

bmk(T) bmk(F)

where bmk represents the Chr that is inserted into the document via
InsertBookmark

I now select the two editable text areas and follow your instruction for
protection. .......... And it works .......

but ..... when back in the document, I could type a ludicrous number of
digits against bmk(T), only to see

bmk(F) displaced to the right (not tested, but presumably eventually to the
next line) .

How to stop this 'blessed' feature, please?

I was hoping to set up a series of bookmarks (and their values) in a
document, create adjacent 'areas' for users' editable text input, protect
non-editable areas AND,

preserve formatting; - all without code, and preferably without Controls
from either the Control Toolbox or the Drawing ToolBar.

Have a feeling I'm missing something fundamental here

(apart from brains) g.

Regards.

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

If you're creating this as a protected form (which sounds like what you
really want), you can put the form fields in a (borderless) table with exact
row height and column resizing disabled. For more on protected forms, see
the tutorials by Dian Chapman that are referenced in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Stuart

This isn't the best way to do this. Instead of Bookmarks as you have done,
you need to create two new styles: Telephone Number and Fax Number.

Now Cross Ref to these Style Names instead.

As Suzanne has suggested, please these into a fixed table with or without
borders.

Terry

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]
: ...
: Stuart
:
[...]
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Stuart" wrote in message
: ...
: : Using Office 2003 SBE, I'm setting up a Company fax.
: : At the moment it's a .doc (not template) and I'm working on setting up
: the
: : 1st page (ideally without using VBA so that I might avoid Certificate
: issues
: : when deploying the fax).
: :
[...]

Stuart

Many thanks to you both.
I've now set it up in Table format, but one further question please:
Take a table with 1 row and 3 columns, where I've set the individual column
widths. In column1, I have:
Email: (textform Field) @abc.com

So once protected I an enter an email name .....but if I
keep typing...then the cell wraps! How do I stop this please? I just want to
be limited to the space available in the column......if that makes sense.

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]
: "Stuart" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

TF

Using Table, Properties, set the Row Height to an Exact measurement.

Terry

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]
: "Stuart" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : ...
: : Stuart
: :
[...]
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : "Stuart" wrote in message
: : ...
: : : Using Office 2003 SBE, I'm setting up a Company fax.
: : : At the moment it's a .doc (not template) and I'm working on
setting
: up
: : the
: : : 1st page (ideally without using VBA so that I might avoid
: Certificate
: : issues
: : : when deploying the fax).
: : :
[...]

Stuart

Yes, I'd picked that one up since that post, thanks.
Amazing what throwing caution to the winds and a
little experimentation produces (together with education
from the ng)......I now can almost believe that I can deal with a Word Table
(column & row) like an Excel sheet (at the Cell level) .....well, at an
elementary level, perhaps.
Almost beginning to feel at home.

One thing's for sure, this ng response is 100%, as in Excel's various ng's.

Regards and thanks.

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]
: "Stuart" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Stuart" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Amazing what throwing caution to the winds and a
little experimentation produces (together with education
from the ng)......

Do a Save As...and experiment to heart's content with no lack of caution, in
any situation. It is a very good way to learn about Word.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/