Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick Piazza Nick Piazza is offline

Default How to change default caption color in References/Insert Caption?

I have setup my document to use black headings. However, when I use the
References/Insert Caption option to caption a figure I've inserted, The
caption text defaults to blue, and I have to manually change it to black
after entering the caption. How can I setup the default caption color to
black?

Thanks,
Nick Piazza
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to change default caption color in References/Insert Caption?

Hi Nick,

I understand that you want to change the default caption color in References/Insert Caption in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Click on the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on "Insert Caption" in the "Captions" section.
  3. In the "Caption" dialog box that appears, click on the "New Label" button.
  4. In the "New Label" dialog box, enter a name for your new label (e.g. "Figure Black Caption").
  5. In the "Format" section, click on the "Font" button.
  6. In the "Font" dialog box, select the font color you want to use for your captions (e.g. black).
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Font" dialog box.
  8. Click "OK" to close the "New Label" dialog box.
  9. In the "Caption" dialog box, select your new label from the "Label" dropdown menu.
  10. Click "OK" to insert your caption with the new default font color.

Best,
[Your Name]
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Modify the Caption style: Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display the Styles pane.
Click the Manage Styles button. On the Edit tab of the dialog box, locate
the Caption style and select it. Click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog
box, click Format, Font. Set the color to "Automatic" (or "Black"). Click
OK. Before clicking OK in the Modify Style dialog box, check the "New
documents based on this template" option. Finally, click OK to close the
Manage Styles dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nick Piazza" wrote in message
I have setup my document to use black headings. However, when I use the
References/Insert Caption option to caption a figure I've inserted, The
caption text defaults to blue, and I have to manually change it to black
after entering the caption. How can I setup the default caption color to
black?

Thanks,
Nick Piazza

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick Piazza Nick Piazza is offline

Thanks, Stefan

I was originally looking for a style called Figure or Table to change.
Don't know why I brainfroze and didn't see the Caption style.

Nick

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Adelean Adelean is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Piazza View Post
I have setup my document to use black headings. However, when I use the
References/Insert Caption option to caption a figure I've inserted, The
caption text defaults to blue, and I have to manually change it to black
after entering the caption. How can I setup the default caption color to
black?

Thanks,
Nick Piazza
Hi, Nick,

You have 2 ways to alter the default caption style in your document, as follows:

1. You can create a template by modifying the caption style as you like.
Then save it and open it next time you need to use.

Or

2. Use VBA codes to create a new module and paste the bellowing codes the

Sub SetCaptionStyle()
Dim objDoc As Document

Set objDoc = ActiveDocument

objDoc.FormattingShowFilter = wdShowFilterFormattingInUse
objDoc.StyleSortMethod = wdStyleSortByName
With objDoc.Styles("Caption").Font
.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Size = 14
.Bold = True
.Italic = False
.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
.ColorIndex = wdBrightGreen
.Engrave = False
.Superscript = False
.Subscript = False
.Scaling = 100
.Kerning = 0
.Animation = wdAnimationNone
.Ligatures = wdLigaturesNone
.NumberSpacing = wdNumberSpacingDefault
.NumberForm = wdNumberFormDefault
.StylisticSet = wdStylisticSetDefault
.ContextualAlternates = 0
End With
With objDoc.Styles("Caption")
.AutomaticallyUpdate = False
.BaseStyle = "Normal"
.NextParagraphStyle = "Normal"
End With
End Sub

Note this macro sets your caption in bright green. You can also change the constants, such as the font name, size, etc.

Then every time you run this macro, it shall set all captions in your document as required.

For more detailed information, you can refer to this article:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/2-wa...word-document/

Hope that helps!

Adelean

Last edited by Adelean : April 13th 17 at 04:43 AM

Link figure caption and table caption to document callouts to upda Sherry Microsoft Word Help 0 May 20th 09 03:01 PM
how do insert a tab after a caption only in the TOC rmarshall Tables 0 March 12th 09 11:03 PM
How do I change the default font settings for table/figure caption captions Microsoft Word Help 1 December 26th 08 10:18 PM
InsertCaption PaulG Tables 6 March 5th 07 08:32 AM
How can I find the location of the cross-references of a Caption? Sarquis Microsoft Word Help 1 September 23rd 06 11:25 PM