Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
MisterMatt516 MisterMatt516 is offline

Default Linking numbers in Word tables to spelled out Numbers in body of document

Does anyone know of a way to link the numbers in a Word table to the
corresponding spelled out numbers throughout the text. I am dealing
with engineering documents where total repair quantities are tabulated
in a summary sheet in the front of a report, then the quantities are
repeated several times throughtout the report in spelled out form (
E.G. In the table:213, then 3 pages later: two hundred thirteen). I
need a way to link the number to the spelled out number so that I can
quickly edit the table and the text will follow suit.

Is this something that could be done by converting the entire document
to Excel, setting it up in there with the formula bar, and the
converting back to Word? I'm leary of this as things always seem to go
kooky when I convert back and forth.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Matt

--
MisterMatt516
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you were to bookmark the numbers in the table, you could then use a cross
reference field to the text of the bookmark and add the

\* cardtext

formatting switch to that field

For example, if you bookmark the number 213 in and give the bookmark the
name Cell1 and then insert the following field

{ REF cell1 \* cardtext }

where the field delimiters { } are inserted by using Ctrl+F9, when you use
Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes, the field will display

two hundred thirteen

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"MisterMatt516" wrote in
message .. .

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Linking numbers in Word tables to spelled out Numbers in body of d

This can be done in Word.
You can create a Bookmark at the cell you wish to repeat.
Then where you want to repeats, Cross Reference the Bookmark, with the
"Insert reference to:" Bookmark text, this is now a field, which probably
look like this (to view right click, toggle field codes): {REF numbertext1
\h} (number1 is the bookmark name). This code needs to be changed to {REF
numbertext1 \* CardText \*caps}.

If the text to be repeated will be changed, ie for different clients,
bookmark probably wont work as this is linked to certain text and if this is
edited the bookmark could be lost due to overtype.

Safer to create a style for this whole Table cell, then use a field with
StyleRef to repeat throughout the document. This style will stay with the
cell, regardless of editing the text.
Insert, Field, StyleRef, Options, Styles, "NumberText1", Add to Field, OK,
Uncheck "Preserve formatting durting updates", Ok.
This field can be copied throughout the document.
{STYLEREF Numbertext1 \*cardtext\*caps}
Hope this helps
DeanH

"MisterMatt516" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Linking numbers in Word tables to spelled out Numbers in body

I copied it from a document of mine and I thought Matt may like to know that
this option is available. ;-)