Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shank

Default multi-level bullet lists

New user having fits with bullet lists.

I have a completed document and I'm trying to separate into the proper
bullet levels. I have the 1st level digits 1, 2, 3 etc, and 2nd level
letters a), b), c), etc.

Inbetween #3 and #4 I have a heading that I want to become #4. I hit the
enter key and I keep making e), f), g), etc. I've tried combinations of
CTRL, ALT, and ENTER with no luck. Can't find the solution in help
either.

How do I make that happen?

While I'm at it, how do I form new 1st level bullets?

How do I stop bullet list? double-enter works, but that just makes 2 blank
lines. Should I double-enter, then backspace? Is that the right way?

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

Shank,
Have you tried shift+tab for a higher level or tab for a lower level?

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
New user having fits with bullet lists.

I have a completed document and I'm trying to separate into the proper
bullet levels. I have the 1st level digits 1, 2, 3 etc, and 2nd level
letters a), b), c), etc.

Inbetween #3 and #4 I have a heading that I want to become #4. I hit the
enter key and I keep making e), f), g), etc. I've tried combinations of
CTRL, ALT, and ENTER with no luck. Can't find the solution in help
either.

How do I make that happen?

While I'm at it, how do I form new 1st level bullets?

How do I stop bullet list? double-enter works, but that just makes 2
blank lines. Should I double-enter, then backspace? Is that the right way?

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shank

SHIFTTAB just does a TAB to the left (back-tab if you will)

3. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
a) blah blah blah
b) blah blah blah
c) blah blah blah

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
a) blah blah blah
b) blah blah blah

4. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

How do I make the above look like:

3. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
a) blah blah blah
b) blah blah blah
c) blah blah blah

4. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
a) blah blah blah
b) blah blah blah

5. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

thanks

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

Shank,
You do not mention the version of Word you are using, if it is Word
2002/2003 go to Tools - AutoCorrect, AutoFormat As You Type tab enable the
option "Set first and left indent with tabs and backspaces"
That said, what happens if you delete all the paragraph markers between c)
and AAAA, see below:
3. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
a) blah blah blah
b) blah blah blah
c) blah blah blah|AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

and then press enter, normally you should get :

d) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
if you then press shift+tab you should get the higher level and get a 4. If
the shift+tab or tab does not work you can always use the demote/promote
buttons on the standard toolbar, they are right next to the numbering and
bullets buttons.

So enter gives you a new number of the same level, enter and pressing tab
allows you to choose a lower level, enter and shift+tab allows you to choose
a higher level.

Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
"shank" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

Shank,
Concerning the way to stop a bulleted list you can do one of four things:
a) press enter two times (like you discovered yourself)
b) press enter and hit backspace
c) press enter and click on the numbering button of the standard toolbar
d) press enter and hit ctrl+q

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Aldis

The safest way to set up multi-level lists is to use a paragraph style for
each level. You must set the whole structure up from the *top* level style,
following Shauna Kelly's instructions at

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

The toolbar decrease/increase buttons, when used within a list, will move
between levels. (Also available on right click menu, and as Luc says you can
set option to use tab/shift tab to promote/demote level.)

If you are using styles, then applying a non-numbered style is the correct
way to stop numbering.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"shank" wrote in message
New user having fits with bullet lists.

I have a completed document and I'm trying to separate into the proper
bullet levels. I have the 1st level digits 1, 2, 3 etc, and 2nd level
letters a), b), c), etc.

Inbetween #3 and #4 I have a heading that I want to become #4. I hit the
enter key and I keep making e), f), g), etc. I've tried combinations of
CTRL, ALT, and ENTER with no luck. Can't find the solution in help
either.

How do I make that happen?

While I'm at it, how do I form new 1st level bullets?

How do I stop bullet list? double-enter works, but that just makes 2
blank lines. Should I double-enter, then backspace? Is that the right way?

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shank

How do I get the styles to maintain the bullet indents, format etc.?
When I try to save a new style by underlying attributes, they are not
retained.
I try to update the style - no good.
I try to open the style dialog box, then the fomat menu - but tabs and many
others are greyed out.
How do I set all that in a style?
thanks!

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...

"shank" wrote in message
New user having fits with bullet lists.

I have a completed document and I'm trying to separate into the proper
bullet levels. I have the 1st level digits 1, 2, 3 etc, and 2nd level
letters a), b), c), etc.

Inbetween #3 and #4 I have a heading that I want to become #4. I hit the
enter key and I keep making e), f), g), etc. I've tried combinations of
CTRL, ALT, and ENTER with no luck. Can't find the solution in help
either.

How do I make that happen?

While I'm at it, how do I form new 1st level bullets?

How do I stop bullet list? double-enter works, but that just makes 2
blank lines. Should I double-enter, then backspace? Is that the right
way?

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Aldis

1. Make sure you are creating or editing a *paragraph* style - the greying
out suggests you are using a List Style.

2. Follow the instructions in the link I gave - it is important to do things
in the right order, as explained there. There is also more excellent advice
on that site about using styles if you are not familiar with them.

--

"shank" wrote in message
New user having fits with bullet lists.

I have a completed document and I'm trying to separate into the proper
bullet levels. I have the 1st level digits 1, 2, 3 etc, and 2nd level
letters a), b), c), etc.

Inbetween #3 and #4 I have a heading that I want to become #4. I hit the
enter key and I keep making e), f), g), etc. I've tried combinations of
CTRL, ALT, and ENTER with no luck. Can't find the solution in help
either.

How do I make that happen?

While I'm at it, how do I form new 1st level bullets?

How do I stop bullet list? double-enter works, but that just makes 2
blank lines. Should I double-enter, then backspace? Is that the right
way?

thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
shank

I come from PageMaker and there's not too much making sense in WORD... just
a learning curve to handle I guess.
thanks!

"Margaret Aldis" wrote in
message ...