Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Default Still frustrated trying to add buttons!

It seems like adding menu command and macro buttons to my toolbars has
become specific to documents, or at least Word instances, in Word XP. I was
in Word 2000 last month, and had no problems adding a button for a menu
command or a macro to a toolbar - it would be there the next time I opened
Word, and it would be there for every document. Not so in Word XP - a
button added may not be there the next time I open a different document.

For example, I am using strike-through a lot on my current report, so I
added the button through Tools Customize. I can open the report doc
again and it's still there. While the report doc is open, I click New - and
the button is missing! Normal.dot has been saved a dozen times since I
added that button - but it's not there is a New doc created on Normal!

What gives??!?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Additionally, I added the strike-through button onto the toolbar of the New
doc - and now it's showing up TWICE on the toolbar for the report doc! Can
someone tell me what's going on?

Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Geez! Did they just add that for Word XP? Okay - I think that clears up my
mystery. Now, to clear up my toolbars!

Thanks.
Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What is called the "customization context" is important he when you add
your toolbar button, check what is selected for "Save in" in the Customize
dialog.

so
all may benefit.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

No, this has been true in every version of Word, but more recent versions of
Word have permitted saving toolbars, shortcut keys, macros, etc., in
documents as well as templates.

"Ed" wrote in message
Geez! Did they just add that for Word XP? Okay - I think that clears up

my
mystery. Now, to clear up my toolbars!

Thanks.
Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What is called the "customization context" is important he when you

add
your toolbar button, check what is selected for "Save in" in the

Customize
dialog.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

From the FAQ:

28. I can't save my customizations - AutoText, menus, etc.
Can't save normal.dot...
If you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.
Otherwise, hold down the Shift key when selecting the File
menu and select Save All.
See also http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331259.html.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Thanks, Suzanne. Now if there was only some way to permanently kill that
Copy Task Pane . . .

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you're talking about the Office Clipboard, there is. I never see it
except when occasionally I click on it on the Edit menu in order to give the
instructions I'm about to provide: At the bottom left corner of the task
pane is an Options button. Click on it and make sure that none of the Show
options is checked.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

I do that *every time* the lil' bugger shows up! The only one ever checked
is "Show Office Clipboard Automatically", and it gets unchecked every time.
The only thing I can figure out is I accidentally press CTRL+C twice, which
invokes it the same as picking it from the Edit menu, regardless of what I
want Word to do.

Word needs a "Smith Corona" mode, I tell ya!

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

That may a large part of the problem, Suzanne. This is on a work computer,
and our IT department has permissions locked up so tight I can do nothing
outside of my UserName folder without jumping through hoops and full-bore
justification. I can't even do a defrag! Touch the registry?? Sacrilege!
So I muddle on.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you are unable to change the Registry on your local machine, then you
basically can't enable *any* options the company doesn't provide.
Practically all the settings in the Tools | Options dialog are stored in the
Registry, along with many other settings. There is a table at the very end
of KB822005 ("How to reset user options and registry settings in Microsoft
Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word 2002, and Microsoft Word 2000") that shows
where settings are stored; see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822005.
Other useful articles ar "Where settings are stored in the registry for Word
2000" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212242 and "WD97: Where Settings
Are Stored in the Registry" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=157464.
These will give you an indication of the options you can't change if you
don't have access to the Registry.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Thank you again, Suzanne. I will see if IT will have pity upon me.

"Ed" wrote in message
Geez! Did they just add that for Word XP? Okay - I think that
clears
up
my
mystery. Now, to clear up my toolbars!

Thanks.
Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What is called the "customization context" is important he
when
you
add
your toolbar button, check what is selected for "Save in" in

the
Customize
dialog.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.