Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenniferS30 JenniferS30 is offline

Default Registry Policy Setting - Problem Changing Setting

Our tech support downloaded the service pack onto one of my coworkers
computers. She received the "this file was created in an earlier version of
word... cannot be opened due to a registry policy setting" erro. After
searching for help on this site I found the link for the resolution -- 922849.

But I cannot find the DWORD value the form is reffering to. I found her file
under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\11.0\Word\Security but
there was no FileOpenBlock subkey. Could it be located elsewhere? Is there
something else I should be looking for?

I would like to resolve the issue for her for EVERY document as opposed to
just accepting this particular document. She's going to be receiving a lot of
older files via e-mail that were created in an older version of word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Microsoft has posted a newer version of the KB article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810. In particular, download and use the
..reg files linked from the "Method 1" section of the article, which will set
the registry correctly without requiring the use of the registry editor.

The "Method 3" section explains how to accomplish the same thing with the
registry editor. You'll find that you must create the FileOpenBlock key and
then create the entry within it. The .reg files in Method 1 will do this for
you automatically.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman