Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jdsjones jdsjones is offline

Default Lead letter before page number

My report will be included as Appendix A in a larger document. How do I
change the page numbers in my report to say A-# and reflect in the table of
contents.
--
jdsjones

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jdsjones jdsjones is offline

I've printed that article up and it still doesn't seem to answer my question,
or else, I'm rushing through it and not trying every step. Although the
document I am working with will become an appendix to a larger document, it
will not be a part of the document electronically, so I'm just trying to find
a quick way to add A- in the page number that will also show in the table of
contents for this document only.

I have done this before but I am drawing a blank today. I keep thinking I
entered a seq field, but I'm getting error messages. I can manually add the
A-# in the footer, but it doesn't reflect in the TOC.
--
jdsjones

"jdsjones" wrote in message
My report will be included as Appendix A in a larger document. How do I
change the page numbers in my report to say A-# and reflect in the table
of
contents.
--
jdsjones

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only way to add anything to a page number such that it will show up in
the TOC is to use the "Include chapter number" option in the Format Page
Number dialog. In this case, the "chapter number" must be the number of an
autonumbered paragraph in one of Word's built-in heading styles. Period.

"jdsjones" wrote in message
My report will be included as Appendix A in a larger document. How do
change the page numbers in my report to say A-# and reflect in the
table
of
contents.
--
jdsjones

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jdsjones jdsjones is offline

What I did was to define Heading 9 style (which I had not used in the doc) as
alphabetic; "hid" the paragraph that used this style; then formatted the page
number to include chapter # starting with Heading 9. Worked great. I was so
positive I had used something other than a style to do this before.
Regardless, it worked and I concede that you were right. period.
--
jdsjones