Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Maya Hotels India Maya Hotels India is offline

Default How to create field for series of tickets/gift certificate

1.We would like to create a series of tickets/gift certificate etc. with
different numbers while using e mail merge through Microsoft outlook 2007.
We do following steps to do mail merge:
Contact FolderSelect ContactsToolsMail MergeCheck Only Selected
contactCheck All Contact FieldsDocument FileCheck New DocumentMerge
OptionsSelected Form Lettersmerge to emailthen step by step mail wizard

2.Our point is while inserting merge field using database fields in a MS
word document ,here we would like to insert a field or how to create field so
that it generate a list of numbers (coupon /ticket /gift certificate
no.)automatically during the merge .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You might have to do this in a couple of steps and there are a couple of
ways to do it. The simplest if probably to first create a Directory type
mail merge using your present data source and in the main document of which
you insert the mergefields into the cells of a one row table. When you
execute that merge to a new document, the document that is produced will
contain a table with a row of data for each record in the data source. You
then select and copy that table into Excel and in Excel, insert a row at the
top of the spreadsheet into which you insert field names and add one more
column that you populate with numbers be entering the first number against
the first record and then use a formula in Excel that adds 1 to that number
for the second record and then copy that formula down for all of the
remaining records. Add a field name for that column in the first row, then
save the Excel spreadsheet and use it as the data source for the merge
letter.

As an alternative to the Directory mail merge, you could export the contacts
from Outlook to Excel and then add the column for the numbers. I am not
sure about limiting the export to only selected contacts. You may be able
to get assistance with that in one of the Outlook newsgroups.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Maya Hotels India" .(donotspam) wrote in message
1.We would like to create a series of tickets/gift certificate etc. with
different numbers while using e mail merge through Microsoft outlook 2007.
We do following steps to do mail merge:
Contact FolderSelect ContactsToolsMail MergeCheck Only Selected
contactCheck All Contact FieldsDocument FileCheck New DocumentMerge
OptionsSelected Form Lettersmerge to emailthen step by step mail
wizard

2.Our point is while inserting merge field using database fields in a MS
word document ,here we would like to insert a field or how to create field
so
that it generate a list of numbers (coupon /ticket /gift certificate
no.)automatically during the merge .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word has a few ways to insert sequence numbers, e.g. using a { SEQ } field,
but the problem when you merge to e-mail is that Word will restart the
numbering sequence for each e-mail.

One way to store the number between emails is to keep it in a Word Document
Property. There are built-in properties, and custom properties, but in this
case you have to use one of the built-in properties. Suppose you do not use
the built-in property "keywords" for anything else.

Then you can use the following field codes in your mail merge main document
to insert a sequence number starting with the current value of "keywords"
{ keywords { ={ keywords } + 1 } }

Each pair of {} has to be the special field code braces that you can enter
using ctrl-F9.

It looks like you are using Word 2007, in which case setting the inital
value of keywords is a bit tricky. In some ways the easiest way to do it is
to assume that you are starting froma new document, then before the above
field codes, insert, e.g.

{ if { keywords } = "" "{ keywords 1000 }" }

to set the "base" number to 1000. The first number in the emails should then
be 1001. If you then save that mail merge main document and use it later,
keywords will be set to the last number you used and the next batch should
start with the next number. But do't rely on it.

Since none of these things is likely to be straightforward for an end user,
you may need to start from a predefined document that already contains these
fields, or provide an AUTOTEXT that makes the fields easy to insert.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Maya Hotels India" .(donotspam) wrote in message
1.We would like to create a series of tickets/gift certificate etc. with
different numbers while using e mail merge through Microsoft outlook 2007.
We do following steps to do mail merge:
Contact FolderSelect ContactsToolsMail MergeCheck Only Selected
contactCheck All Contact FieldsDocument FileCheck New DocumentMerge
OptionsSelected Form Lettersmerge to emailthen step by step mail
wizard

2.Our point is while inserting merge field using database fields in a MS
word document ,here we would like to insert a field or how to create field
so
that it generate a list of numbers (coupon /ticket /gift certificate
no.)automatically during the merge .

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Maya Hotels India Maya Hotels India is offline

Dear Mr. Robbins,
We are aware of below suggested solution,buit since its being little longer
,we are looking for solutions bypssing other applications(either import &
exports of Excel/CVS).We need to create tickets/gift certificate serial no.
through e-mail only & not through post card.documents or labelings option.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are a number of suggestions for numbering labels at
http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm
The fact that labels are used in the examples is really irrelevant to the
techniques involved.

For individually numbered documents see also
http://www.gmayor.com/automatic_numbering_documents.htm