Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beancounter4751 Beancounter4751 is offline

Default How to italicized the first 2 characters in an equation?

Using Microsoft Equation 3 to build an equation, e.g (Cost minus Residual
Value) ... etc., when "minus" is entered, the first 2 characters "M" and "I"
are non-italicized. In addition, I find out by trial and error that to enter
a space between "cost" and "minus", I have to use Ctrl+space, info not
available from the Help menu
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

What you've discovered is how Equation Editor handles functions. For
example, if you want to type "cos (a + b)", Equation Editor recognizes
"cos" as the abbreviation for "cosine", and displays it in a
non-italic font -- which is standard for mathematics typesetting.
Likewise, "min" is the abbreviation for the "minimum" function, so
typing "min" (not simply "mi", as you indicated) results in those 3
characters being rendered in a non-italic font.

There are several "named spaces" available on Equation Editor, and
these are available via the "Spaces and ellipses" palette (second from
the left on the top row). "Ctrl+space" happens to be the built-in
shortcut for what's termed a "thin space".

There are some pretty good reasons why the spacebar is disabled in
Equation Editor, but remember that you can type any text you want --
including spaces -- by switching to "Text" style via the Style menu.
While in "Text", function recognition is disabled, so any function
names you enter won't be recognized, but all the characters will be
non-italic, and the spacebar will work. Notice though, that entering
math while in Text style won't look the same as using Math style.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training