In Word 2003 when mail merge how do I delete an empty field?

Old July 23rd 07, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie

Default In Word 2003 when mail merge how do I delete an empty field?

When a defined field is blank how do I tell mail merge to skip that field on
that one merge?
Old July 23rd 07, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

By blank do you mean empty? If so you can conditionally insert the content
of that field eg

{IF{Mergefield fieldname} "" "{Mergefield fieldname}"}

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old July 23rd 07, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Connie

Yes, I do mean empty. However, the situation would be, for example, in my
mail merge I have a field for "name". The mail merge is set up with a line
stating Attn: name Some records do not have an entry for name and on
the mail merge if the name field is empty I want that line skipped in the
merge ie do not print the word Attn.

Old July 23rd 07, 05:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

It is then but a small stretch to something like:

{Mergefield Company}{IF{Mergefield name} "" "Attn: {Mergefield fieldname}
"}{Mergefield Address1}etc

Use CTRL+F9 for the brackets {} and substitute the correct field names