Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathytech

Default Word 2003

I recently installed Office Professional 2003 on an XP. Everything was
running fine when suddenly Word does not want to work. It takes forever to
load. When it finally does, the insertion point will disappear. When I click
on the blank page the whole screen goes white except for the blue title bar
that says "Word". Sometimes (not always) it wants to start in safe mode. Here
are ways I tried to fix this.
Downloaded and installed all the Office updates.
Followed the troubleshooting article provided by Microsoft (Article 820919)
using the Support Template. This article has you renaming/deleting
Normal.dot, word data registry key, word options registry key, addins and
templates, COM addins, the options registry key. I did each one at a time
with no results. Am now starting word with winword.exe /a.
HELP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2F0aHl0ZWNo?=,

I recently installed Office Professional 2003 on an XP. Everything was
running fine when suddenly Word does not want to work. It takes forever to
load. When it finally does, the insertion point will disappear. When I click
on the blank page the whole screen goes white except for the blue title bar
that says "Word". Sometimes (not always) it wants to start in safe mode. Here
are ways I tried to fix this.
Downloaded and installed all the Office updates.
Followed the troubleshooting article provided by Microsoft (Article 820919)
using the Support Template. This article has you renaming/deleting
Normal.dot, word data registry key, word options registry key, addins and
templates, COM addins, the options registry key. I did each one at a time
with no results. Am now starting word with winword.exe /a.

Have you tried Help/Detect and Repair?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathytech

If you mean the Office software-yes. I have uninstalled/reinstalled as well
as try the repair facility. Still having problems. I will try to post on
your linked forum also. Thanks.
Kathytech

"Kathytech" wrote:

I recently installed Office Professional 2003 on an XP. Everything was
running fine when suddenly Word does not want to work. It takes forever to
load. When it finally does, the insertion point will disappear. When I click
on the blank page the whole screen goes white except for the blue title bar
that says "Word". Sometimes (not always) it wants to start in safe mode. Here
are ways I tried to fix this.
Downloaded and installed all the Office updates.
Followed the troubleshooting article provided by Microsoft (Article 820919)
using the Support Template. This article has you renaming/deleting
Normal.dot, word data registry key, word options registry key, addins and
templates, COM addins, the options registry key. I did each one at a time
with no results. Am now starting word with winword.exe /a.
HELP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2F0aHl0ZWNo?=,

If you mean the Office software-yes. I have uninstalled/reinstalled as well
as try the repair facility. Still having problems. I will try to post on
your linked forum also. Thanks.

In this case, the next thing I would suspect would be an addin or some "tool"
that's interfering with how Word runs. Starting in Safe Mode (winword.exe /a)
starts with the installation defaults, which means it's *something* on your
system.

Can you list more specifically what things you did when checking for Addins?

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathytech

One thing I did was to delete the COM add-in registry key per the support
template. Did not help. I also had looked in Word Tools-Templates and
Add-ins to check what add-ins were being used. None were listed.
Two other things I did not mention in orginal post-I uninstalled Office
2003, reinstalled her previous version of Office 2000 and had the same
results. Also, have just discovered another person who, after putting clipart
on her document had the same results. She saved the document and then when
reopening it the hourglass twirls and twirls. If you click on the page it
will go totally white except for the title bar . Does this tell you anything?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2F0aHl0ZWNo?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2F0aHl0ZWNo?=,

One thing I did was to delete the COM add-in registry key per the support
template. Did not help. I also had looked in Word Tools-Templates and
Add-ins to check what add-ins were being used. None were listed.
Two other things I did not mention in orginal post-I uninstalled Office
2003, reinstalled her previous version of Office 2000 and had the same
results. Also, have just discovered another person who, after putting clipart
on her document had the same results. She saved the document and then when
reopening it the hourglass twirls and twirls. If you click on the page it
will go totally white except for the title bar . Does this tell you anything?

Not really sigh, if you've already tried the rename Normal.dot route...

You've said starting Word in Safe Mode works? How about starting Windows in Safe
Mode, but letting Word run normally? If the problem still occurs, it's certain
it's in Word. If it doesn't, we may well be looking at something else on the
machine (like third-party software).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathytech

I will give that a try. I have Symantec Corporate Edition Anti Virus. I even
tried to disable & uninstall it to see if it was the culprit. No change.

If it runs ok in Windows safe mode, do you have any suggestions where to
look for the comflicting software? What, other than anti virus, is a known
troublemaker?

I was also wondering if it could in any way be hardware related. Both are
fairly new Gateway machines. I was thinking about calling Gateway about it.

Hi ?B?S2F0aHl0ZWNo?=,