Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GregNga GregNga is offline

Default Preventing document opening at startup

Is there a way to prevent having a new document opened at startup. I would
rather start Word and then clcik the New button or select New off the file
menu. Often I am going to open an existing document, so when I start Word, I
have to cancel the new document that was opened and then open the one I want
to update.

You can do this in Excel with /e switch when executing the .EXE but that
does not seem to work in Word
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

"GregNga" wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent having a new document opened at startup. I would
rather start Word and then clcik the New button or select New off the file
menu. Often I am going to open an existing document, so when I start Word,
have to cancel the new document that was opened and then open the one I
want
to update.

You can do this in Excel with /e switch when executing the .EXE but that
does not seem to work in Word

For Word, use the /n switch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 13:35:59 -0500, "Beth Melton" wrote:

"GregNga" wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent having a new document opened at startup. I would
rather start Word and then clcik the New button or select New off the file
menu. Often I am going to open an existing document, so when I start Word,
have to cancel the new document that was opened and then open the one I
want
to update.

You can do this in Excel with /e switch when executing the .EXE but that
does not seem to work in Word

For Word, use the /n switch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Really, you don't need to do this. If you open Word with the default blank
document and immediately open any existing document, the blank document
automatically closes. You don't have to "cancel" the blank document first.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sherry Sherry is offline

That doesn't work for me. Every time I open Word, the new document opens. I
then open the document I want. However, when I close the document I wanted,
the €œnew€ document that opened when I started up Word is still there and I
have to close it €“ and it asks if I want to save it before it will shut down.
Extremely annoying