Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica

Default free document from corruption

I have a document that I suspect is corrupted. What is the easiest and/or
most reliable way to copy the content of the document to a new, fresh
document without carrying along the corruption?

The document is fairly heavily formatted, and I could easily make sure all
the required styles are in the document template.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Select all the content of the document except for the final paragraph mark
and copy, then paste into a new document (or use Insert | File, which does
the same thing). If the document contains section breaks, however, you'll
need to either remove them or copy/paste one section at a time (without the
section breaks). For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"Jessica" wrote in message
I have a document that I suspect is corrupted. What is the easiest and/or
most reliable way to copy the content of the document to a new, fresh
document without carrying along the corruption?

The document is fairly heavily formatted, and I could easily make sure all
the required styles are in the document template.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica

Thanks.

I've made a new clean normal.dot and this may help things a bit. I wish it
had carried along all my autotext and autocorrect entries, but that's life.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you just renamed Normal.dot instead of deleting it, you can retrieve the
AutoText entries using the Organizer. For more on backing up and restoring
AutoCorrect entries and other settings, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/FilesToBackup.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm

"Jessica" wrote in message
Thanks.

I've made a new clean normal.dot and this may help things a bit. I wish

it
had carried along all my autotext and autocorrect entries, but that's

life.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jessica

Thanks - I looked into the organizer on my own and didn't see anything for
copying those; the instructions certainly help!

- Jessica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You are welcome. I discovered the "three times" rule a number of years back.
The thing is that otherwise, when you copy linked styles, often the style
being linked to doesn't exist in the receiving template at the time the
first style is copied. It is documented somewhere in the KB.
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q113/1/06.asp
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide....htm#Organizer

--
Charles Kenyon