Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil26 Neil26 is offline

Default Problem with styles

I have produced a large document using microsoft word, but am having problems
with styles. Basically, every chapter in my document has a title page with
the style 'Heading 1', followed by a page break. On the next page I then
wish to start with with 'Heading 2'. However, Word seems to be treating text
before and after the page break as one 'object', meaning that both end up
being the same type of heading. If I put in a blank line before the page
break, this enables me to have 'heading 1' on the first page, followed by
'heading 2' on the second page. However, the blank line prior to the page
break is also treated as heading 2! This is a real problem when i comes to
formatting my table of contents. I hope someone can help as it's driving me
crazy!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Neil26 Neil26 is offline

The problem with doing it that way is that I don't want a page break before
every Heading 2. i.e. Each chapter consists of one Heading 1 (on its own in a
'title' page), followed by a number of sections each with a 'Heading 2' that
continually flow without page breaks.

"Neil26" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Then apply the "Page break before" formatting to just the first Heading 2
paragraph.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of inserting a manual page break, format Heading 2 as "Page

break
before."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.