Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Blue Skies

Default Text contained in a text box shows on screen but doesn't print

Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print out although it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joe quittner joe quittner is offline

My "drawing objects" item on the Print tab of Tools|Options is checked. I
have a page in which photos, scans, and text are arranged in thirteen
texboxes, and nothing else outside the boxes is on the page. All appear as
intended in "Print Preview" but in printing, only elevent text box contents
print - two are missing, one of text only, the other a scan of a photograph.
Three other scans of photos do print, as do four other boxes of text and four
boxes of digital photos.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that "Drawing objects" is checked on the Print tab of Tools |
Options.

"Blue Skies" Blue wrote in message
Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print out although

it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It may be a print spooling issue (document going to the printer before the
spool file is complete). Try disabling background printing (Tools | Options
| Print). If that doesn't help, go into the printer Properties and rummage
around until you find an option to print directly to the printer (without
spooling).

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that "Drawing objects" is checked on the Print tab of Tools |
Options.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Blue Skies" Blue wrote in message
Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print out

although
it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joe quittner joe quittner is offline

Thank you - unchecking background printing in Tools|Options|Print worked
instantly! But it might help for the future to look a little better into a
wrinkle, which is that I tried copying the page of text boxes into a new doc,
in which I deleted all but the two of the original thirteen that didn't
print. Then I tried printing just that new doc with its two (remaining) text
boxes - and the printer put out blank pages. Can THAT also be a spooling
problem (background printing was enabled)?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that "Drawing objects" is checked on the Print tab of Tools |
Options.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Blue Skies" Blue wrote in message
Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print out

although
it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Possibly a corruption issue. Or it could be that there was some peculiarity
about the text box (tight spacing, for example) that made the printer choke
on it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that "Drawing objects" is checked on the Print tab of

Tools |
Options.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Blue Skies" Blue wrote in message
Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print out

although
it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joe quittner joe quittner is offline

Thank you again. I appreciate your excellent advice and helpful orientations
- and so quickly! I will look more closely into how I place insertion points
of text boxes to try to avoid piling their placement processes too tightly
together.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It may be a print spooling issue (document going to the printer before

the
spool file is complete). Try disabling background printing (Tools |

| Print). If that doesn't help, go into the printer Properties and

rummage
around until you find an option to print directly to the printer

(without
spooling).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news My "drawing objects" item on the Print tab of Tools|Options is

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that "Drawing objects" is checked on the Print tab of

Tools |
Options.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Blue Skies" Blue wrote in message
Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print out
although
it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was actually thinking of tight spacing inside a text box, but, now that
you mention it, I remember looking at a document that had a text box that
wasn't printing, and the issue with that one actually was one of tight
spacing between text boxes. It could be cured by changing some setting in
the Advanced Layout IIRC--perhaps "Allow overlap"?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It may be a print spooling issue (document going to the printer

before
the
spool file is complete). Try disabling background printing (Tools |

| Print). If that doesn't help, go into the printer Properties and

rummage
around until you find an option to print directly to the printer

(without
spooling).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"joe quittner" joe wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that "Drawing objects" is checked on the Print tab of

Tools |
Options.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Blue Skies" Blue wrote in

message
Suddenly, any text contained within text boxes doesn't print

out
although
it
shows up on the screen.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's a problem within Word or the printer

settings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
parkerboy parkerboy is offline

Hi Suzanne - Turning on "Drawing objects" was the answer. I certainly am glad
I found your input.

My question is why did it not have to be "on" for the preceeding two years
for text boxes to print. I have been using a "boiler plate" letter in my
business for the past two years that contained text boxes and they printed
perfectly well. I have Microsoft Updated set on automatic. Could it be that
a recent update unintentionally caused the problem ????

As they say, "go figure".

parkerboy